IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sensory Integration Disorder/Dysfunction
Today my son, 4.5 years, saw an Occupational Therapistic who confirmed he has [link|http://www.sinetwork.org/whatisdsi.htm|Sensory Integration Disorder]. In the OT's words he is a classic text book case. So now we have a reason we can wrap our minds around for his behaviour patterns and confidence that his condition (I really dislike that term) can be corrected or at the very least improved to point where it is not a problem for him or those around him.

A year ago my wife was seriously considering changing the pre-school he attended but his friends were there and the pre-school she was considering cost 3 times as much. Our doctor assured us that he was just an active boy. So the school change didn't happen then. This year we changed schools anyway. We saw an immediate improvement in him just from that. The teachers recommended he be evaluated and so now we know. I regret that we didn't change schools last year, we came so close to doing it and he'd be so much better off now. But that's water under the bridge.

The OT is going to put together a therapy program for him and in 3 months she says we will see a dramatic improvement in him. We are looking forward to that.
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New Pleased to hear that progress is being made
Relay my warmest regards to your family - this is good news, and we can all use a bit of that :)

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Must be a relief to get an ID.
It looks like a challenge to imagine 'filtering' what you see, hear and imagining what if.. it were lots? less or more intense.

Now if you can make something of a game of that, he may not hear the word 'therapy' for some time :-)

Good luck,

Ashton
New yes it is.
My wife for the first time in quite a while feels she has been heard. She has been saying that his behaviour is not normal, that's it's not just that he's growing faster than his brain can handle. (He weighs more than his sister who is 2 years older.) He has been a challenge from the time her water water broke. (1.5 hours from water breaking to delivery. I now understand how some babies are born on the side of the road, in elevators etc.) As a baby he would cry inconsolably. We thought it was just colic. It seems there was likely more to it.

DSI is really a hard thing to cope with because the kid to all appearances is normal. Except that he often will do normal kid stuff in an abnormal way. The difference is in intensity, duration or frequency. If you're not with him enough or know other signs to look for, you miss that difference and so miss seeing there's a problem.

Just knowing what the problem is, that it can be corrected, and that we're not imagining things has lowered our stress level several notches.
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New I would not be surprised if not a few of us here
could have been diagnosed with this as a child.
thanx and good luck,
bill
tshirt front "born to die before I get old"
thshirt back "fscked another one didnja?"
New you're probably right
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New My nephew has that
My sister works with him a lot and he sees OT 3 times a week. It has yielded great improvement. Hang in there.
     Sensory Integration Disorder/Dysfunction - (cforde) - (6)
         Pleased to hear that progress is being made - (pwhysall)
         Must be a relief to get an ID. - (Ashton) - (1)
             yes it is. - (cforde)
         I would not be surprised if not a few of us here - (boxley) - (1)
             you're probably right -NT - (cforde)
         My nephew has that - (tuberculosis)

When you just can't miss an opportunity to belabor the obvious.
39 ms