IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Serious question.
Rock solid here on two systems. (The third, being in storage pending a rebuild to Linux, doesn't count).

Of course, I have a Smoothwall firewall between me and the Internet. And my W2K server runs Outpost behind that.

And immediately downloading and installing ZoneAlarm is no good. Chances are you're already infected. Download on another machine, burn to CD, install XP on target, install ZoneAlarm, then connect target to internet. Either that or slipstream XP SP2 into your install set (note that I have yet to do this).

Failing that, it'll be a harware issue. If it uses a VIA chipset, have the Hyperion drivers been installed? Is there any hardware not on the HCL?
qts
New Default XP firewall will work as well.
XP has a built in firewall which will get the job done. The main issue with it is that it does not control outbound access, and doesn't allow for different settings based on the application and subnet.

It should keep you from getting wormed until you can get something better in there, but one VERY important note - do NOT connect the computer to the internet until you bring the computer up and you are logged in, as the XP firewall in the default install state does not start until after your machine starts up. This was fixed in a SP, don't remember which one.
Nobody wins in a butter eating contest
     Serious question. - (acagle) - (23)
         I haven't had much trouble with XPH - (Another Scott)
         What do you consider your NEEDS? - (folkert)
         I had a person with 3 machines convinced that XP would solve - (boxley)
         Serious Answer. - (pwhysall) - (7)
             OT: You're a funny fellow. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                 I do not. - (pwhysall) - (5)
                     you want windows - (boxley) - (4)
                         Re: you want windows - (pwhysall) - (3)
                             experience enough that when Da and Ma leave the house - (boxley) - (2)
                                 And the Cat-5 cable under the kid's matress? -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                     If they are smart enough to score one, let em -NT - (boxley)
         XP is - (deSitter)
         Re: Serious question. - (deSitter) - (4)
             Wot 'ee said. -NT - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                 Does indeed sound like the problem - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Windows XP is a wonderfully reliable and stable application - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                         ...too bad we asked for an OS ;) -NT - (FuManChu)
         Various responses. - (acagle) - (3)
             sounds exactly like the setup my friend had - (boxley) - (1)
                 Re: sounds exactly like the setup my friend had - (acagle)
             Re: Various responses. - (deSitter)
         Re: Serious question. - (qstephens) - (1)
             Default XP firewall will work as well. - (inthane-chan)

MY SUGGESTIONS ARE THE RESULT OF COUNTLESS NANOSECONDS OF COGITATION! HOW DARE YOU REJECT THEM?!?
92 ms