IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Over-factored code?
A couple of ex-coworkers at a place I did a contract at complained about my code during recent maintanence of theirs. They say it is "overfactored", and too hard to figure out where to make changes.

However, I tend to find their style under-factored. You have to figure out all the different places to make the same changes over and over. And they use Fortran-style arrays instead of more modern things like hash arrays and database tables.

I think under-factored code is appreciated over heavier factoring because the changes you make are incrimental. In high-factored code you have to kind of grok the abstractions first before you can do anything. However, low-factored code you can often scan through it and make the changes incrementally. You may have to make the same change in multiple spots, but at least you feel the steady progress as you attack one duplicated portion at a time. But, there is no abstraction framework to have to grok.

Your fingers might work harder, but your mind works less. I suppose other people's abstractions can be a little weird. I've encountered some doozies myself.
--

Buy high, sell sober.
New no business...but very common
New Business wants plug-and-play programmers
Thus, the less abstract the code the easier it is to bring in/out people to work on it without really understanding it. If the same change has to be retyped in a jillion different places, it is simply pridictable busy-work. If people are required to understand abstractions, then a higher caliber coder is needed, but companies don't want to have to hunt for, evaluate, and pay for them. Thus, they target a lowest-common-denominator style: copy-n-paste.

For example, we definitely don't want plug-and-play programmers; we need people who can reason their way through a problem that might be software, might be hardware, or (FUNFUNFUN) might be shitty comms that you can't reproduce in the factory but have to code around ANYWAY.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Not arguing your anecdote, but...
...I would *guess* that you're either in the minority, or not big enough. I get the impression (which I'd love to see substantiated one way or the other) that the Big Boys agree with Bryce's assessment, and further that MS panders to that market more than yours.
New People that say that don't mind fixing the same code ...
over and over again in different places. They become experts at it. They also tend not to notice that small variations of the same code are functionally equivalent. It keeps them busy.

Incidentally, this kind of thinking is very object oriented of you. :)
Alex

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. --Mark Twain
New Naah, he's just being well-Structured.
And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, per se.

Now, if only he could take the logical next step...

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New OO is NOT upward evolution
Now, if only he could take the logical next step...

OO is a reversion back to the 1960's "navigational" databases. OO proponents say that OO is better than the navies of the 60's because behavior is "integrated" into it, but in my experience the relationship between nouns and verbs is often many-to-many over the long run, not one-to-one like ADT-like philosophy assumes. (Maybe for low-level device-driver-like things it holds to some extent, but not for business entities.)

Anyhow, as far as complaints about too many subroutines and abstractions in my code, when in Rome do as the Romans do. Fighting the "system" is a dead end career-wise. Companies don't want to be "fixed". (Nor do OO zealots :-)
             no business...but very common -NT - (Simon_Jester)
             Business wants plug-and-play programmers - (tablizer) - (2)
                 Hang on a moment. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Not arguing your anecdote, but... - (FuManChu)
         People that say that don't mind fixing the same code ... - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
             Naah, he's just being well-Structured. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                 OO is NOT upward evolution - (tablizer) - (2)
                     Huh?!? We're talking programming, not databases, you moron! -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         Navigational smelly whether code or DB -NT - (tablizer)

So let me sign off in idiocy...
84 ms