IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A more detailed scientific report.
[link|http://trauma.cofa.unsw.edu.au/Infrasound/acousticweapons.pdf|Here] (PDF), and [link|http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:C9ara51zb2AJ:trauma.cofa.unsw.edu.au/Infrasound/acousticweapons.pdf&hl=en&ie=UTF-8|here] is Google's HTML version. It's a report by J\ufffdrgen Altmann of Germany.

1.4 Goals of This Report

To my knowledge, acoustic weapons have not been the subject of detailed public scientific analysis. They were discussed in a section of a 1978 book and a 1994 conference contribution, both motivated by humanitarian-law concerns; these, however, are rather short and non-quantitative. A very recent article is significantly more comprehensive, but relies heavily on general statements from a firm engaged in developing acoustic weapons, the defense press, and military research and development institutions. The author calls for a "much more sophisticated and fuller understanding of the damage caused by high power acoustic beams" and asks the humanitarian-law community to involve itself in the assessment and debate.

The present report is intended to contribute to that goal by presenting more, and more reliable, information, so that serious analysis of military-operational, humanitarian, disarmament, or other political aspects need not rely on incomplete or even obscure sources.

This study is based on the open literature and my own theoretical analysis, without access to scientific-technical data gained in acoustic-weapons research and development, and without original experiments. Something may have been overlooked; at some points speculation is unavoidable; and some questions will remain open, hopefully to be answered by future work.

The questions to be answered are the following:
C What are the effects of strong, in particular low-frequency, sound on humans?
C Is there a danger of permanent damage?
C What would be the properties of the sound sources (above all, size, mass, power requirement)?
C How, and how far, does strong sound propagate?
C Can we draw conclusions on the practical use by police or military?

The following subsection (1.5) gives a few general remarks on acoustics. Effects of strong sound on humans are described in section 2. Section 3 deals with production of strong sound. Protective measures and therapy are the subject of section 4. Several allegations made in journalistic articles are analyzed in section 5. Finally, section 6 presents preliminary conclusions.

General properties of pressure waves in air are described in the appendix, and details of the analysis of allegations concerning acoustic-weapons effects are given.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks -
lots of material there, though apparently not from any of the military data. Shall have to follow several of these, after current project. I see that one shortly must ponder the other implications, as with any effort to make weapons less lethal - inevitably these too shall proliferate, even if half-baked.

Now I do have to look for that Sci & Mech. issue! Dunno whether to hope this works <--> or doesn't, given our propensity for magnifying mischief. (And who ever sets their Phasers on stun - in '04?)

Gracias,

moi
     Fun? Comments? Tinfoil hattery? - (pwhysall) - (25)
         since its an exe file I cant tell -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             It's an ogg, innit? -NT - (pwhysall)
         I feel fine. - (Another Scott) - (5)
             Wot OS/Platform? - (pwhysall) - (3)
                 Win2k + SP4, Moz. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     I'd recommend WinAmp 2. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         Hmm. Typical Windows run-around in progress. - (Another Scott)
             I suspect that my Altec Lansing ADA995 will reproduce 20Hz - (pwhysall)
         Odd tingles -NT - (ben_tilly)
         Subsonic Danger - (Andrew Grygus) - (14)
             extra low frequencies ELF - (boxley)
             Medusa: a French weapon. - (Ashton) - (7)
                 Kate Bush song - Experiment IV - (Another Scott) - (6)
                     sound is a wave, point it in front of you -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                         Low frequencies aren't as directional as higher. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                             Which was the point of the array, - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                 Exactly, similar but not identical to... - (folkert) - (1)
                                     Probably more similar to phased array radar . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                     has 5 stars in my iPod - (SpiceWare)
             An article on Gavreau's organ. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 Re: An article on Gavreau's organ. - (Ashton) - (2)
                     A more detailed scientific report. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Thanks - - (Ashton)
             I'm not quite sure what the big deal is - (jake123)
         Run away! It is the "Brown Noise"! :) - (orion)

This is why I am in therapy.
57 ms