IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Opinions on Fujitsu Lifebooks?
Hi,

My boss wants a PC laptop. (He's got a G3 Powerbook, but needs something to run MS Access.) A friend of his has a Fujitsu Lifebook and he was quite impressed with it. It looks like a nice box, but the 256 MB max might be a little limiting (we'd probably put Win2k on it). It would be a general PC running Office. He'd need to have Ethernet and a modem - just about everything else is negotiable.

Any other laptops you're fond of these days? Max price has to be less than $2500. The 1 GHz E-series for $2249 (base list) looks appealing. [link|http://www.fujitsupc.com/www/products_notebooks.shtml?products/notebooks/e_series|Fujitsu Lifebook E-Series].

I've got a personal bias in favor of IBM or Toshiba laptops, but I've never bought one myself. If Dell, Sony or another clone vendor is recommended, we'll certainly consider that too.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Keep the Mac, get Virtual PC :-)
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Seconded.
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Already suggested that. He didn't seem too receptive. :-(
Plus, if he gets a new PC laptop, there's a chance I may get the PowerBook. 8-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New VAIOs are good.
I'm happy with my Z505, but it might be a little small for what he wants. Perhaps the 880K would be better. Both come with ethernet and should be available with a modem, but the Z505 is a single-spindle laptop with a physically smaller screen. I think the XE17 might be out of your budget.

Win2K runs fine enough in 128Mb, BTW. Unless he intends on manipulating a truly large database in Access, that is.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Re: Opinions on Fujitsu Lifebooks?
Crap.

Shiny, pretty crap.

Fragile crap.

Crap with crap keyboards.

Crappy battery life. Crappy screens.

These things generate way too many support calls for my liking.
Buy Tosh Satellite Pro or Dell Latitude. HP Omnibook is good also.

My real opinion?

Buy Office for the Mac.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Tell me how you really feel. :-)
He needs to run MS Access and there isn't a Mac version. He's got Mac Office already.

There doesn't seem to be a useful way to use Access files on a Mac (since the jet.dll engine doesn't run on Macs nor have a Mac version) and a file translation capability doesn't seem to exist.

I'll mention the Virtual PC option again and look at the Toshiba notebooks. Thanks. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Well, you learn something new every day.
I didn't know Mac Office was sans Access.

Not that it's a *bad* thing, in the big scheme of things.

Access is (all together now) EEEEEEEVIIIIIIL.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Damn Peter.. you make way too much sense to
deserve full Shill! status.. I propose demotion to ~ Token-Shill-like. :-\ufffd

(Thanks again for the O'Reilly book tip. If I could just find one which starts from the presumption: 'you do not want to even think about AD, so we'll cut the size and asides by 60%' - I'd be, well.. ecstatic is a stretch.)

Ashton
New I got one
But then my requirements list was quite a bit different than your boss's. At the time I bought it, it was the only retail laptop I could find with a relatively decent 3D card. If I were buying today, I'd probably grit my teeth and mail-order with a Dell Inspiron 8100 (GeForce2, yes!)

Fujitsii has been having some serious financial problems of late; you might base one counter-argument around that. I don't know about flimsy; it doesn't seem any less solid than Dell or Toshiba laptops I've seen.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
     Opinions on Fujitsu Lifebooks? - (Another Scott) - (9)
         Keep the Mac, get Virtual PC :-) -NT - (Meerkat) - (2)
             Seconded. -NT - (bepatient) - (1)
                 Already suggested that. He didn't seem too receptive. :-( - (Another Scott)
         VAIOs are good. - (static)
         Re: Opinions on Fujitsu Lifebooks? - (pwhysall) - (3)
             Tell me how you really feel. :-) - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Well, you learn something new every day. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Damn Peter.. you make way too much sense to - (Ashton)
         I got one - (wharris2)

Hello, boys and girls! Here we are in Romper Room school again!
96 ms