IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Linksys Cable/DSL Router BEFSR41 is pretty good.
Being on a Time-Warner Road Runner cable modem, my machines are on all the time and a prime target. Looking at the WAN (internet side of things) light and cable modem light, I'm getting hits almost every second. Things are very quiet on the internal network. It is possible, as an option to permit the router to be set up remotely from the web. By default, and I left it that way, that cannot be done. I even disabled the reset button (to set it to factory settings) so if I forget the password or the router gets stolen, it will not be possible to re-confgure it.

I have updated the Linksys firmware twice. Linksys seems to do OK with that kind of support.

A browser on your machine on the internal network, with java enabled, is needed to talk to and configure the router.

It works for me.
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New Thanks for hint.
Will pass it on at the meeting. Nice touch that reset disable! Believe current plan is a bit odd and maybe? clever - what are they missing:

Leave the W2K Server alone, to simply run the RAID for their commonly accessible data storage. They have no need for web-serving, so IIS can't kill them this week or next month.

Run the 3 laptops connected by NICs to that isolated server, via a switch (as now). ISDN via router firewall then goes to each of the 3 laptops via CAT5. Simple switch at each machine selects server OR 'web', never BOTH. No web connection to the ProLiant.. (Pretty expensive disk-drives, eh? But SAFE)

While this won't reduce need for normal prudence - perhaps it won't be necessary to install each WEEK's patch to W2K (and wonder what it broke in previous ones) etc. Of course if something does get to the W98SE clients and they next switch to server - well, WTF..

Cheers,

Ashton
New A lot of people find Linksys unreliable under load
..especially Counter-Strike servers ;)

I'd recommend going up a step to something like the Netopia R9100.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly by the chain of their own ideas;...despair and time eat away the bonds of iron and steel, but they are powerless against the habitual union of ideas, they can only tighten it still more; and on the soft fibres of the brain is founded the unshakable base of the soundest of Empires."

Jacques Servan, 1767
New Netopia looks good; includes VPN
at least the R910 and R9000 do, and with the R9000 you an get a VPN accelerator. And, neither one has any restrictions on number of users (well, you can get a 12-user limited R9000, but nobody seems to sell it), unlike their compeition (WatchGuard, Sonic). On the downside, their integrated hub is only 10BaseT.

And, of course, avoid their Cayman routers!

Tony
New SMC Barricade
This is a pretty cool unit, with intrusion detection and other neat stuff built-in. (Managed through a Web interface.)

We got a butt-load of these to segment our computer labs from the campus LAN.

They also have a built-in LPR-based print server.

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits
New Yep, their pricing is really good (like $100 at Fry's)
and I did notice the LPR feature. I may steer a friend with PacHell DSL towards them (he's looking for a router). (And, BTW, PacHell ISP is pretty bad, too, not just their cell service and line installation divisions. His DSL has been down for over a week due to "router (at PacHell) issues"!)

But I'm making do with my old DLink Di701, since it works fine and I already have a three port print server. Neither DLink nor SMC router is in the same class as the R910/R9000.

If I need VPN (a possibility in about six months), then I'll check out Netopia in detail. There's no way I'll consider Watchguard or SonicFirewall.

Tony
New I was so impressed, I got one for myself..
My print server (HP JetDirect EX) was Appletalk-only, so my *NIX boxes at home couldn't talk to it. (Plus my beta Wavelan drivers didn't do Appletalk so wireless printing from my Powerbook was also NG).

Now everything (OS X, OS 9, Solaris) is happily working with the Barricade.

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits
New Re: A lot of people find Linksys unreliable under load
I have downloaded, in parallel, the 4 ISO CD images of Red Hat 7.1 without a burp.
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New You must've hit a reliable burp :P
Oh, and thanks for the anecdote.
<hr width='90%'>"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly by the chain of their own ideas;...despair and time eat away the bonds of iron and steel, but they are powerless against the habitual union of ideas, they can only tighten it still more; and on the soft fibres of the brain is founded the unshakable base of the soundest of Empires."

Jacques Servan, 1767
New I shall have to hope that 'my guys' can manage
not to incur 'heavy usage' - with only 3 laptops hanging off the router/firewall; no humongous dbases, no extra-nets or web servers*. If your caveats prove accurate, will be sure to add to the anecdotal report list :[

* and unlikely to be downloading ISO files and such.

A.
     The Reg take on escalation in DDoS attacks - (Ashton) - (10)
         Linksys Cable/DSL Router BEFSR41 is pretty good. - (a6l6e6x) - (9)
             Thanks for hint. - (Ashton)
             A lot of people find Linksys unreliable under load - (tseliot) - (7)
                 Netopia looks good; includes VPN - (tonytib) - (3)
                     SMC Barricade - (tjsinclair) - (2)
                         Yep, their pricing is really good (like $100 at Fry's) - (tonytib) - (1)
                             I was so impressed, I got one for myself.. - (tjsinclair)
                 Re: A lot of people find Linksys unreliable under load - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                     You must've hit a reliable burp :P - (tseliot) - (1)
                         I shall have to hope that 'my guys' can manage - (Ashton)

Even the hydrocoptic marzelvane came up with a null...
147 ms