IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Why I Hate Microsoft
[link|http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/IhateMS.html|http://www.euronet.n...nkvw/IhateMS.html]

Long but good. Here's the abstract:

Abstract

Microsoft controls the current software market and has a de facto monopoly on the desktop. This monopoly has not been achieved and is not being maintained by offering the user community better products than Microsoft's competitors can offer. On the contrary, Microsoft has earned a reputation for selling unreliable products, thrown together from third-party technology. Windows is a technically inferior operating system with a seriously flawed architecture, a weak security model and sloppy code, while other Microsoft applications are equally kludgey. New Microsoft products offer no essential improvements over previous or competing products, and their Return On Investment is between small and zero, in spite of Microsoft's boasts about being innovative and customer-driven.
Instead of making better software, Microsoft has focused on using brilliant but doubtful marketing tactics to force their products upon the user community in order to establish and maintain their monopoly. These methods include a tight integration of applications into the operating system, the bundling of applications with Windows to force competing application vendors out of the market, the mandatory bundling of Windows with new computer equipment, deliberate limitations in the compatibility of their own software with competing products, contracts that prohibit third parties to do business with anyone but Microsoft, and retaliatory practices against non-cooperating vendors. In addition to this, third-party developers are induced, through cheap or free development kits and the sabotaging of alternatives, to develop applications that contain proprietary system calls, are virtually non-portable, and are therefore bound to the MS-Windows platform.
These methods only serve to further inflate Microsoft's already obscene profit margins, at the price of the interests of the user community, the IT market and the field of computer technology as a whole.
-----
Steve
New Re: Why I Hate Microsoft
Nice but he states that people were making bridges and buildings with Solaris workstations in 1981. Sun did not exist until 1982 and wasn't a factor in the UNIX world until 1987 or so when they teamed up with AT&T. The first Sun workstations I remember from grad school days at Ga. Tech appeared about 1986.

He meant that Digital VAXen were the gold standard for engineering development, because they were relatively cheap and had excellent development tools that engineers could grok.
-drl
New 'de facto monopoly'?
As the title of theis forum section reminds visitiors, Microsoft was convicted of being an abusive monopoly.

The selection and execution of their penalty leaves much to be desired [no effective penalty was imposed - until the EU imposed their's this week]
     Why I Hate Microsoft - (Steve Lowe) - (2)
         Re: Why I Hate Microsoft - (deSitter)
         'de facto monopoly'? - (dlevitt)

I like when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
63 ms