IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: And?
It's your call. You're a cop. You have 10 minutes to decide whether the man slipped and hit his head or was murderd

Point is that social services face the same kinds of situations as cops and must make the same kinds of life/death judgements. However, at least in this country, social service people are not under the same restrictions as police officers. Things like "innocent until proven guilty" and "unreasonable search and seizure" and "search warrents" and "due process" do not apply
"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting
New Er?
No, you have a bloody long time in the trial in front of a duly appointed judge and 12 good men and true.

The guy is *already* dead. He's not in a hurry to go anywhere.
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New Same thing
Maybe a bad example but what aboot a woman accusing a man of assault, or stalking. Is she telling the truth? Is he innocent? Should he be locked up for her safety? Is she just out to get him in trouble?
"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New It's slightly different
Firstly, the balance of power is not utterly one-sided, like it is with a child/adult situation.

Secondly, both parties are usually at least in the same ball park when it comes to reasoning and explicative capacity.

It's no better a situation - being falsely accused sucks, full stop - but it is quite different.
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New Re: It's slightly different
Firstly, the balance of power is not utterly one-sided, like it is with a child/adult situation.

Ask Ross about that. Balance of power can be very one-sided in adult interactions. And children have more 'power' then you realize when it comes to making accusations against adults

Secondly, both parties are usually at least in the same ball park when it comes to reasoning and explicative capacity.

Again, ask Ross

but it is quite different

The situations are quite similar. You have people with enormous power making life and death judgement decisions. What's different is that in one case there are controls over that power to try to ensure that good judgment prevails, in the other, there is not.
New Re: It's slightly different
You know better than this, Pete, what with all the recent cases of children falsely accusing adults. And the system here is so biased against the male it's silly. Teachers cannot discipline children any more.

I was assaulted a week ago by a gang of kids (14-15). I had to stand there and let myself get hit. Had I retaliated, I would have spent the night in the cells and likely been prosecuted.

A friend was falsely accused of a number of things by his wife and spent the night in the cells. His wife still got custody of the kids in the divorce. In a rape case, a woman is entitled to anonymity, but the man is not; her anonymity is maintained even if he is found innocent.
qts
New couldnt you have just pulled out yer gun and?
oh forgot where you lived. In Alaska they had one case of a couple of 20yo pounding on a 15yo and regardless of fault passed a new law making it a felony to smack down on a minor, until a sixteen yo 6ft 2inches 270lbs nicknamed monster attacked and half killed a worker in the facility he was being held at. The guards pulling him off were charged under the law. Needless to say a self defence claus has been enacted. It is intolerable that in a free society that you must allow yourself to be attacked to avoid jail. Alice in wonderland.
thanx,
bill
can I have my ones and zeros back?
New Limitations of social workers
I'm not going to get into a big linkfest here -- I'll do you the courtesy of believing what you say is factually true, if you'll return the favour.

In the UK, it takes a court order from a Magistrate to place a child into *temporary* custody - it's called (IIRC) an Emergency Protection Order. It's usually used to get a child out of an immediately dangerous situation.

To permanently take the children away, perhaps for fostering, requires a court order from a Crown Court, which means barristers, which means a LOT of learned arguing by both sides.

There is no right to search, that I'm aware of.

The Children Act (1988?) makes it quite clear that the parents rights are entirely secondary to the safety of the child - and the social services operate on this principle. They have to, it's the law. But being understaffed, underbudgeted and overworked as they are (where's the profit margin?), mistakes are made, oversights occur. And children die - but they're the ones who slipped through the net, which I want to have somewhat smaller holes.
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
     popeye the movie was about LA - (boxley) - (57)
         Theft, outright theft - but not *from* whom you might think. - (CRConrad) - (56)
             I know how to make proper - (boxley) - (1)
                 So? - (CRConrad)
             Not really. - (addison) - (53)
                 I've never liked personal property tax. - (admin) - (52)
                     But OTOH, the whole idea of "double taxation" is BS, too. -NT - (CRConrad)
                     That's just cause they use it to pay for schools. :) - (addison) - (50)
                         No, it isn't. - (admin) - (49)
                             wrong nothing is free - (boxley) - (3)
                                 It is in Michigan. - (admin) - (2)
                                     learn something new everyday - (boxley) - (1)
                                         Heh. - (admin)
                             Teach me to be snide in subject titles. - (addison) - (42)
                                 Children are the responsibility of the community IMO - (admin) - (41)
                                     Disagreed - (Fearless Freep) - (40)
                                         So... - (admin) - (33)
                                             Re: So... - (Fearless Freep) - (32)
                                                 Actually, s/schools/schooling - (admin) - (2)
                                                     Don't think so - (Fearless Freep) - (1)
                                                         As a home schooler... - (admin)
                                                 Problem is... - (pwhysall) - (28)
                                                     Re: Problem is... - (Fearless Freep) - (13)
                                                         And.... - (addison)
                                                         Stakes are high - (pwhysall) - (11)
                                                             Yup - (Fearless Freep) - (9)
                                                                 And? - (pwhysall) - (8)
                                                                     Re: And? - (Fearless Freep) - (7)
                                                                         Er? - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                                                             Same thing - (Fearless Freep) - (4)
                                                                                 It's slightly different - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                                                     Re: It's slightly different - (Fearless Freep)
                                                                                     Re: It's slightly different - (qstephens) - (1)
                                                                                         couldnt you have just pulled out yer gun and? - (boxley)
                                                                         Limitations of social workers - (pwhysall)
                                                             I don't believe I said that. - (addison)
                                                     Assuming.. - (Fearless Freep) - (13)
                                                         Not nearly as equivocal - (pwhysall) - (11)
                                                             My way? - (Fearless Freep) - (10)
                                                                 I'm sorry - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                                                     Re: I'm sorry - (Fearless Freep) - (8)
                                                                         Is that a price that you're willing to pay? - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                                                             Turn it around - (Fearless Freep) - (6)
                                                                                 I'm the someone else - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                                                                     Couple of nits... - (addison) - (1)
                                                                                         Re: Couple of nits... - (admin)
                                                                                     Would it? - (Fearless Freep) - (2)
                                                                                         That's a highly pathological example - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                             Peter, there has to be a better way. - (boxley)
                                                         NULL, ignore me please. - (pwhysall)
                                         And also note: - (admin) - (5)
                                             Fair point - (Fearless Freep) - (4)
                                                 Not much that can be done about it. - (admin) - (3)
                                                     Above thread describes the ickiest of human 'interactions' - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                         Kind of hits close to home... - (mhuber) - (1)
                                                             If I had a clumsy kid.. - (Ashton)
                             Agreed - (Fearless Freep) - (1)
                                 squirms and taxation - (wharris2)

A load of old toss.
199 ms