IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Installed Fedora Linux today
Verified that it was indeed bad hardware that prevented me from installing before. Replaced the CD-ROM, turned off PIO and UDMA modes for the CD-ROM in CMOS, found out that the BIOS has problems booting off a CD-ROM. This happens to Windows XP's CD-ROM as well, reports that a file is missing or invalid. Debian reports kernel panics and cannot load init, SuSE pukes, Fedora reported a CRC error on the CD-ROM. I made a boot floppy and everything went well. When I installed Xp Pro on this machine I had to use boot floppies, the same with Windows 2000. Nothing boots off the CD-ROM right apparently.

Scott can verify that the user agent is Mozilla and Linux/Fedora that I am using.

I got tired of deSitter to respond to my email about the suspicious activity I found on a VNC session, so I disabled VNC in Windows 2000 until I heard back from him. In light of recent evens, he may not be around to install or help me install Linux on this machine, so I did it myself. Wish I had the time to configure it properly, but I am falling behind on my college work and my son is sick and needs me. So everything is default, which is not good enough.

System now Dual Boots both Fedora and Windows 2000 Pro.

Thanks for those offering to help, I may need your help later, as I am rusty with Unix Administration as I have not done it in years.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New WTF
1) I haven't heard from you in weeks.

2) I've installed Linux on some of the most balled up machines in existence. I've never had one problem with a CDROM.

You do know that you can make "boot floppies" that will start just like the CDROM boot, and get the install to the point that the ATAPI CDROM driver is loaded and ready, after which the install goes as before?

When you start turning off hardware features in BIOS, you are already dead in the water. Turn on PIO/UDMA for the CDROM (don't use a pre-Colombian CDROM you fished out of an Inca-era ToughShed in the back yard next to the sacrificial pyramid), start over and do it right.

-drl
New WTF^2
#1 You've never replied to my emails so I figured you gave up on me. I do so hate playing email tag. After the fourth time I sent you an email weeks ago and you never replied I gave up trying to contact you.

#2 You've never installed it on my systems then. Crappy hardware and a limited income so I cannot afford to buy decent hardware.

MTRP 32X CD-ROM and Creative 32X CD-ROM, both a POS but all that I got available. I disabled features in CMOS to see if it made any difference and it did not, then I turned them back on. Standard operating procedure when the device fails is to turn off some of the advanced features and see if that fixes it. I also replaced the drive cable and rechecked the connectors.

Yes I knew about the boot floppies, but I was more concerned as to why the hardware did not work properly. I never tried the boot floppy before because I was too busy with other things and trying to figure out why the Linux installs kept on failing and doing random errors and random crap to me. Also nobody suggested to me to try a boot floppy, and always blamed my skills for why Linux did not install right.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

Installed Fedora Linux today - (orion) - (2)
         WTF - (deSitter) - (1)
             WTF^2 - (orion)

MEAT HELMET!
40 ms