IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I think that they'll comply but...
I'm still wondering on the odds that they'll make the second version unbootable.

Or that it will have realplayer there, and continuing to randomly pop-up, but just not activated by default.

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Re: I think that they'll comply but...
If the do any fo that, they're in trouble. From [link|http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/36496.html|El Reg]
The interesting part of the remedy therefore has to be the requirement to "refrain from using any commercial, technological or contractual terms that would have the effect of rendering the unbundled version of Windows less attractive or performing."

The Europeans, not being the panderers to Big Bizniss\ufffd that this country's "administration" is, isn't likely to sit still for such shenanigans.
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating that facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT
New And Microsoft always does what they are told, right?
Ship the version with it in, but disabled. Have it un-disable sporadically. When told that they are breaking the agreement, complain, But WMP is part of the operating system. We can't really remove it without breaking the machine. We do our best to hide it from the user. The disabled version is, other that the missing functionality, not worse than the usual version...

Maybe this will fly, maybe it won't. But Microsoft has decades of experience fighting anti-trust rulings in exactly this matter, why change a winning strategy? (And IIRC, they have used this kind of technique in the EU before. About 10 years ago, in fact.)

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
     European Union Issues Strict New Ruling on Microsoft - (bluke) - (8)
         I think that they'll comply but... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
             Re: I think that they'll comply but... - (jb4) - (1)
                 And Microsoft always does what they are told, right? - (ben_tilly)
         Microsoft: EU fight could last until 2009 - (bluke) - (2)
             That's the idea. - (Another Scott)
             Economist says it could be ineffectual. 44kB .gif - (Another Scott)
         This is the ruling WE should have gotten... - (jb4)
         This got prime time coverage in Australia - (dmarker)

Friends, the idle brain is the devil's playground!
48 ms