IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Gah.
I don't feel like commenting more on that, other than "And Dad wonders why I snort when he talks about moving to Orlando and working for Disney".

Addison
New Remember the name of Disney's 8th dwarf? Greedy.
tshirt front "born to die before I get old"
thshirt back "fscked another one didnja?"
New Disney to kids: "Sharing is Wrong"...
and they have a point.

It IS wrong, when you 'share' property that doesn't belong to you, or wasn't released to be shared.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New That isn't the point.
Using cartoons to push a specific political (NOT moral) point into impressionable brains is wrong.

Just sharing music that doesn't belong to you isn't the full picture. The digital rights management laws and hard/software will make it impossible for me to create MP3s from my legally owned CDs, as expressly provided for in the fair use provisions.

Disney is trying to bring an unfair provision into existence by riding on the coattails of "morality".

"Daddy, you shouldn't copy your CDs to the hard drive like that, the cartoon said it's wrong."
Regards,

-scott anderson
New True.
I agree with you - that's why I pointed out the anti-Disneylike message "Sharing is Wrong" in the title. Kinda highlights how they are using thier wholesome image for unwholesome purposes.

"Daddy, you shouldn't copy your CDs to the hard drive like that, the cartoon said it's wrong."

"Kitten, sometimes it's OK to make copies. I can do that if I don't give them to someone else" (possibly followed by "These guys want you to listen to thier music! Let's look at thier website!" ?).

Using cartoons to push a specific political (NOT moral) point into impressionable brains is wrong.

Bypassing the parents is bad, yes. If you were to pick cartoons that reinforced views you want your child to hold, that would be OK. The problem here are parents that abdicate parenting responsibility to the TV and think of Disney as "wholesome".

Disney is trying to bring an unfair provision into existence by riding on the coattails of "morality".

Nah, they are trying do define what moral actions are.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
Expand Edited by imric Oct. 23, 2001, 07:56:03 PM EDT
New This reminds me of a quote from Billy Bragg.
...which I shall paraphrase terribly from a recent copy of the Big Issue.

It's only the rich musicians who are complaining about Napster - and has it made any of them poor? When public libraries were introduced, you didn't see Random House go around trying to burn them down...

That was the gist of his quote anyway, will put the proper one in if I remember.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New About the libraries
The great author Dennis Wheatly in one of his books bitterly denounced the idea that a new authors advance was so pitiful because they would only sell enought to stock the libraries to see if he could get a following. His thought that the books should be rented, not lent. Funny BlockBuster has the same idea:)thanx,
bill
tshirt front "born to die before I get old"
thshirt back "fscked another one didnja?"
     Digital Copyrights: Teach the children young - (admin) - (7)
         Gah. - (addison) - (6)
             Remember the name of Disney's 8th dwarf? Greedy. -NT - (boxley)
             Disney to kids: "Sharing is Wrong"... - (imric) - (4)
                 That isn't the point. - (admin) - (3)
                     True. - (imric) - (2)
                         This reminds me of a quote from Billy Bragg. - (Meerkat) - (1)
                             About the libraries - (boxley)

A colonoscopy, while eerily similar, is probably better than politics.
47 ms