IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Smack in the middle...
...between your "Vegi-Moderate"(*) and "Carno-Moderate" labels; guess that makes me an "Extreme Moderate"?

Considering a move to "Low Carb", though -- probably more in the form of "Paleo"-something than Atkins, though. (Oh, and I've been thinking about it since last year, so does that mean I'm not a victim of fashion after all?)

(*): Although the "Vegi-" part of that is more likely to feature potatoes for carbohydrates, than beans and grains, this far north of the Mediterranean.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
You know you're doing good work when you get flamed by an idiot. -- [link|http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/35/34218.html|Andrew Wittbrodt]
New whats a traditional Finnish Breakfast consist of?
potato pancakes n sardines? I have no idea.
thanx,
bill
when I was young I envisioned myself as the embodiment of Trinity, Now I realize I have turned into the Bambino
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Porridge / sandwiches / cereals in sour milk + lots o'coffee
New sour milk as in buttermilk? how is it soured?
when I was young I envisioned myself as the embodiment of Trinity, Now I realize I have turned into the Bambino
New Bacteria cultures; dunno what, exactly. What's "buttermilk"?
New Buttermilk . .
. . was originally the liquid left after churning for butter (the milk has to be soured to get the butter to separate). Today it's largely made as a primary product. Tastes just like a very liquid Yougurt, and the two are interchangeable in recipes with a little care.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New No, milk doesn't have to be soured to make butter.
Skim the cream off it, whip the cream into whipped-cream, continue whipping it into very stiff whipped-cream, and then just DON'T STOP whipping it, and it'll soon start clotting into butter; no souring at all required.

I know this for a fact, 'coz we did exactly that as an experiment in Home Ec in the eighth grade. Thank GRR the electric whick was invented by then!

The liquid that remains, though, is a lot thinner than sour milk; just lightly white-coloured water, IIRC. (No guarantees I do, though; we didn't focus on that part AFAICR.)

You know you're doing good work when you get flamed by an idiot. -- [link|http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/35/34218.html|Andrew Wittbrodt]
New Buttermilk was invented in the days of the hand churn.
If you want to use your technique in a hand churn I'm sure it will do wonders for your weight loss program as well as build muscle and character.
New why do they call it "sweet cream butter" :-)
having hand churned WAY more butter than I care to think about, I can guarranty it doenst have to be sour, just churned and chrned and churned and fuckit just buy some margarine already.
thanx,
bill
New Perhaps a little souring would have eased your churning?
And margerine is now known as "deadly trans-fats".
New more like deadly taste like sh*t
New Note that the sourness is not oil soluable . .
. . and leaves with the liquid. Of course, if you don't wring out your butter well enough not only will it be sour, it'll go rancid quickly. Here's [link|http://waltonfeed.com/old/butter.html|the process].
New we had the old crock churn and the paddle with handle
finally figured out a way to hook the electric drill to the handle, the old man wondered why the brushes wernt lasting too log on the drill.
thanx,
bill
New AFAIK Southern mostly
Buttermilk is drunk as a standalone drink in the South - elsewhere I think it's mostly used just for cooking.
-drl
New buttermik is the liquid thats left after making butter,
kind of sour. Sounds like a type of Kefer, like yogert but liquid. Never thought of using that on cereal will have to try.
thanx,
bill
New Probably mostly creme fraiche, which you can't get . .
. . in the U.S. because it can't be made from pasturized milk. Getting unpasturized milk in the U.S. is a big problem (here in Los Angeles we've always had Altadena, but the health authorities keep trying to shut it down "just because").

Creme Fraiche is different from sour cream in that it strongly resists curdling and separation at higher temperatures and it can be whipped like whipping cream. Sour cream doesn't qualify in either case.
New Nope. With *cereal*?!? "Corn flakes and Creme Fraiche"???
That would be a right mess, wouldn't it... Not something you could slurp down before you're even half-awake, for sure. No, what I called "sour milk" is more like yoghurt or kefir, consistency-wise.

Come to think of it, one kind of sour milk is called "churning milk" -- as in, churning butter -- in both Swedish and Finnish, and that doesn't seem too different from the other kinds, to me; so it might well be that they're all something like the "butter milk" BOx was on about.

Or you can of course use ordinary regular bog-standard normal milk with your cereal. Our Matsku, for instance, usually pours that over his Wheeties or Cheerios or whateverthefuck those vaguely-grain-based sugar-and-chemicals calorie-bomb concoctions are called.

New Same place on the scale for me
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
     Drawing the Battle Lines - (Andrew Grygus) - (72)
         Vegi-moderate - (Andrew Grygus)
         Carno-Moderate - (Yendor)
         British - (pwhysall) - (6)
             Yes, but . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                 Stereotype, AFAICT - (pwhysall) - (3)
                     A few years ago Natural History magazine . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         I imagine that cuisine in Detroit is not dissimilar - (pwhysall)
                         Re: A few years ago Natural History magazine . . - (deSitter)
             remember a breakfast in Landridnod Wells, Wales - (boxley)
         Carnivore unless count potatoes as vegies -NT - (ChrisR)
         Too Little Time Carno-Vegi-Industrial-Moderate - (Another Scott)
         Some nits - (admin) - (6)
             Vegans etc. - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                 Welp, since I used to be a non-ethical Vegan... - (admin)
                 macrobiotics, is that like a Hari Krishna dinner? - (boxley) - (3)
                     Don't know about other areas . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         Right: fungi decidedly not satwic ;-) - (Ashton) - (1)
                             It makes perfect sense . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Carno-Moderate to Carnivore - (lincoln)
         Most of the above - (Meerkat) - (3)
             Australian Wine. - (Andrew Grygus)
             Well Australian Wines are far better than Most US wines - (boxley)
             I'm with you. - (FuManChu)
         will only eat vegetarian meat - (boxley)
         Re: Drawing the Battle Lines - (deSitter) - (1)
             I'm about where you are - (ben_tilly)
         Carno-Moderate r'Us. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
             dang fine iced tea it is :-) -NT - (boxley)
             Re: Carno-Moderate r'Us. - (deSitter)
             Year-round, but instant -NT - (drewk)
         Once Macrobiotic, now Industrial - (tjsinclair) - (11)
             Is there a potential market for industrial macrobiotic food? - (boxley) - (10)
                 Not quite miso soup, but . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     seen a lot of viet stores local but no Korean - (boxley)
                 Possibly - (tjsinclair) - (7)
                     Well, there are very good reasons . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                         I prefer using gas myself - (tjsinclair) - (3)
                             Ditto. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 Those buttons are all in a horizontal row? - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                     Yup. You volunteering? ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                         Bad burn with my new electric - (drewk) - (1)
                             New electrics can be dangerous. - (Andrew Grygus)
         Battle lines and labels... - (hnick) - (2)
             ? I'm sure the labels are tongue-in-cheek. - (Another Scott)
             A sense of humor goes well with food . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Omnivore and proud. I guess that make me Carno-Moderate - (Silverlock) - (3)
             Ditto. I like to call it "well-balanced" ;-) - (bepatient)
             Nothing that moves and no insects. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 you mean no whole insects - (boxley)
         Smack in the middle... - (CRConrad) - (17)
             whats a traditional Finnish Breakfast consist of? - (boxley) - (15)
                 Porridge / sandwiches / cereals in sour milk + lots o'coffee -NT - (CRConrad) - (14)
                     sour milk as in buttermilk? how is it soured? -NT - (boxley) - (13)
                         Bacteria cultures; dunno what, exactly. What's "buttermilk"? -NT - (CRConrad) - (10)
                             Buttermilk . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
                                 No, milk doesn't have to be soured to make butter. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                     Buttermilk was invented in the days of the hand churn. - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 why do they call it "sweet cream butter" :-) - (boxley) - (4)
                                     Perhaps a little souring would have eased your churning? - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                         more like deadly taste like sh*t -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                             Note that the sourness is not oil soluable . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                 we had the old crock churn and the paddle with handle - (boxley)
                                 AFAIK Southern mostly - (deSitter)
                             buttermik is the liquid thats left after making butter, - (boxley)
                         Probably mostly creme fraiche, which you can't get . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             Nope. With *cereal*?!? "Corn flakes and Creme Fraiche"??? - (CRConrad)
             Same place on the scale for me -NT - (drewk)
         Not sure where I fall. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
             Do you burn a lot of incense? - (boxley)
         ALL barring the "Vegan" - (folkert) - (2)
             yabbut is mountain dew a vegetable :-) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 That was never 5 minutes... Oh wait. - (folkert)

Dvorak-keyboard powered!
108 ms