IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Possibly
The issues would be more philosophical, though. I took some courses (even went on a retreat once) and the way you cook it is about as important as what you cook. For example, there was a line of reasoning that you shouldn't use electricity to cook the food as that would induce "unhealthy vibrations" into the food. Meaning no electric stove or ranges, just gas. (Forget about microwaving!)

Tom Sinclair

The question seldom addressed is *where* Medusa had snakes. Underarm hair
is an even more embarassing problem when it keeps biting the top of the
deodorant bottle.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Soul Music)
New Well, there are very good reasons . .
. . not to cook with electricity, but I never considered 60cps and 120cps to be particularly bad vibrations (a bit annoying on the stereo, though).
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New I prefer using gas myself
mainly because of superior temperature control. However our current place does not have that option.

It's certainly possible to "industrialize" healthy eating (Linda McCartney's frozen entrees come to mind) but with some food systems (like macrobiotics) the philosophy can be incompatible.

Tom Sinclair

The question seldom addressed is *where* Medusa had snakes. Underarm hair
is an even more embarassing problem when it keeps biting the top of the
deodorant bottle.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Soul Music)
New Ditto.
Our 1964-ish vintage GE electric range has push-buttons for the burners.

HI, 2, 3, LO, WM, OFF

"In the future, everything will be digital!"

Of course, there's too little temperature variation for careful cooking. :-(

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who longs for the day when he can remodel his kitchen and get a gas cooktop.)
New Those buttons are all in a horizontal row?
Gotta use the "vertical temperature control" for fine-tuning. ;)

\n_________\n         \\___________\n          \\_________/\n\n              ___\n           _-- _ --_\n            --___--\n
I was one of the original authors of VB, and *I* wouldn't use VB for a text
processing program. :-)
Michael Geary, on comp.lang.python
New Yup. You volunteering? ;-)
New Bad burn with my new electric
That cooktop gets a lot hotter than the old one, and than any gas I've cooked over. And it got there fast, too. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I put the frying pan on to heat while I prepped the chicken. Dropped some butter in while I dredged in flour, then had the butter explode onto my hand when I laid the first piece in. Holy crap but that smarts.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New New electrics can be dangerous.
A friend of mine, Connie, got a new Roper range. Within days, she decided to make her Sweedish cookies. To make these, you have a pot of hot oil and dip an iron pattern (looks a lot like a branding iron) in the batter, then plunge it into the hot oil.

So, she turned her back on it for a couple minutes (which she'd done many times with the old stove). FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPHHH!!!! The flames were so hot she couldn't get to the brand new industrial size fire extinguisher that had just been installed.

This was back in "ethnic decore" days, so the kitchen ceiling was hung with baskets, which caught fire and ushered the flames into the dining room where there was plenty more flamability.

The parrot (a nasty critter) got fried right off, and soon the dining room was well engulfed in flames. The patio doors shattered, exposing the huge new gas grill Stew had just installed. A plug melted out of the 5-gallon gas tank, and it just happened to be pointed into the dining room. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!!!!!!

With a plume of flaming propane tourching through to the living room, the wood floors soon were burned through, dropping flaming embers down into the basement where Connie's pottery shop storage was piled with cans of paints and solvents. WOOOOOOOOSH!!!! yet again.

The guys from the fire department complained bitterly that usually nearly all the damage is from water, but this time they just couldn't find anything to damage.

Interestingly, the most intact parts of the house were a far back corner bedroom and . . . . the kitchen. The reason the kitchen survived was because it was the only place with a low drywall ceiling and drywall walls (on two sides). The rest of the place was open plan with high beamed ceilings.

I still have a couple of splashes of aluminum that poured down on the driveway when the sliding glass doors (on the far side from the patio doors) melted. They're quite nice, I should frame and title them.

Monday morning Stew called the architect who was planning an addition and told him there would be some substantial modifications to the plan. The new house featured massive copper water piping and sprinkler heads over the kitchen.

For years after, anytime anyone complained about their house, we'd offer that "Connie can come down and make cookies".
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
     Drawing the Battle Lines - (Andrew Grygus) - (72)
         Vegi-moderate - (Andrew Grygus)
         Carno-Moderate - (Yendor)
         British - (pwhysall) - (6)
             Yes, but . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                 Stereotype, AFAICT - (pwhysall) - (3)
                     A few years ago Natural History magazine . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         I imagine that cuisine in Detroit is not dissimilar - (pwhysall)
                         Re: A few years ago Natural History magazine . . - (deSitter)
             remember a breakfast in Landridnod Wells, Wales - (boxley)
         Carnivore unless count potatoes as vegies -NT - (ChrisR)
         Too Little Time Carno-Vegi-Industrial-Moderate - (Another Scott)
         Some nits - (admin) - (6)
             Vegans etc. - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                 Welp, since I used to be a non-ethical Vegan... - (admin)
                 macrobiotics, is that like a Hari Krishna dinner? - (boxley) - (3)
                     Don't know about other areas . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         Right: fungi decidedly not satwic ;-) - (Ashton) - (1)
                             It makes perfect sense . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Carno-Moderate to Carnivore - (lincoln)
         Most of the above - (Meerkat) - (3)
             Australian Wine. - (Andrew Grygus)
             Well Australian Wines are far better than Most US wines - (boxley)
             I'm with you. - (FuManChu)
         will only eat vegetarian meat - (boxley)
         Re: Drawing the Battle Lines - (deSitter) - (1)
             I'm about where you are - (ben_tilly)
         Carno-Moderate r'Us. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
             dang fine iced tea it is :-) -NT - (boxley)
             Re: Carno-Moderate r'Us. - (deSitter)
             Year-round, but instant -NT - (drewk)
         Once Macrobiotic, now Industrial - (tjsinclair) - (11)
             Is there a potential market for industrial macrobiotic food? - (boxley) - (10)
                 Not quite miso soup, but . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     seen a lot of viet stores local but no Korean - (boxley)
                 Possibly - (tjsinclair) - (7)
                     Well, there are very good reasons . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                         I prefer using gas myself - (tjsinclair) - (3)
                             Ditto. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 Those buttons are all in a horizontal row? - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                     Yup. You volunteering? ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                         Bad burn with my new electric - (drewk) - (1)
                             New electrics can be dangerous. - (Andrew Grygus)
         Battle lines and labels... - (hnick) - (2)
             ? I'm sure the labels are tongue-in-cheek. - (Another Scott)
             A sense of humor goes well with food . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Omnivore and proud. I guess that make me Carno-Moderate - (Silverlock) - (3)
             Ditto. I like to call it "well-balanced" ;-) - (bepatient)
             Nothing that moves and no insects. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 you mean no whole insects - (boxley)
         Smack in the middle... - (CRConrad) - (17)
             whats a traditional Finnish Breakfast consist of? - (boxley) - (15)
                 Porridge / sandwiches / cereals in sour milk + lots o'coffee -NT - (CRConrad) - (14)
                     sour milk as in buttermilk? how is it soured? -NT - (boxley) - (13)
                         Bacteria cultures; dunno what, exactly. What's "buttermilk"? -NT - (CRConrad) - (10)
                             Buttermilk . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
                                 No, milk doesn't have to be soured to make butter. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                     Buttermilk was invented in the days of the hand churn. - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 why do they call it "sweet cream butter" :-) - (boxley) - (4)
                                     Perhaps a little souring would have eased your churning? - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                         more like deadly taste like sh*t -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                             Note that the sourness is not oil soluable . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                 we had the old crock churn and the paddle with handle - (boxley)
                                 AFAIK Southern mostly - (deSitter)
                             buttermik is the liquid thats left after making butter, - (boxley)
                         Probably mostly creme fraiche, which you can't get . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             Nope. With *cereal*?!? "Corn flakes and Creme Fraiche"??? - (CRConrad)
             Same place on the scale for me -NT - (drewk)
         Not sure where I fall. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
             Do you burn a lot of incense? - (boxley)
         ALL barring the "Vegan" - (folkert) - (2)
             yabbut is mountain dew a vegetable :-) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 That was never 5 minutes... Oh wait. - (folkert)

Firecracker!
98 ms