IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not quite miso soup, but . .
. . since the valley I live in is quickly becoming an upscale Korea town now (the Armos have mostly moved out, don't know where to exactly), we now have Korean markets. these markets have a section for Korean ramen.

The packages are way larger than supermarket ramen, and cost a lot more ($0.59 to $0.79 vs. $0.10 to $0.20) but Korean ramen is to supermarket ramen as an 18-wheeler is to a tricycle - this is GOOD STUF! Many flavors and styles and degrees of hotness from rather mild to "knock your socks off". Yes, the different flavors actually taste different, look different and have different textures, very much unlike supermarket ramen.

The instructions for cooking vary and the English versions are often wrong, but this method works for all:
  • Put 2 cups to 3 cups of cold water in a saucepan (the instructions say 2 cups (if they're coherent) but I like my ramen more liquid so I use 3 cups).
  • If there is a packet of dried vegetables and/or seaweed and/or dried seafood in the package, put it in with the cold water.
  • Bring water to a boil and put in the noodle cookie (I like to eat this stuff with a spoon, often while reading, so I break the cookie up small - if you leave it whole (as the package calls for) you have to use chopsticks and pay attention).
  • Let the noodles simmer for 4 to 5 minutes, then pour in the contents of the powder packet. Turn off heat and eat.
Yum! This is industrial food at its best.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus March 21, 2004, 12:14:29 AM EST
New seen a lot of viet stores local but no Korean
will ask the Korean folks at work.
thanx,
bill
when I was young I envisioned myself as the embodiment of Trinity, Now I realize I have turned into the Bambino
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
     Drawing the Battle Lines - (Andrew Grygus) - (72)
         Vegi-moderate - (Andrew Grygus)
         Carno-Moderate - (Yendor)
         British - (pwhysall) - (6)
             Yes, but . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                 Stereotype, AFAICT - (pwhysall) - (3)
                     A few years ago Natural History magazine . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         I imagine that cuisine in Detroit is not dissimilar - (pwhysall)
                         Re: A few years ago Natural History magazine . . - (deSitter)
             remember a breakfast in Landridnod Wells, Wales - (boxley)
         Carnivore unless count potatoes as vegies -NT - (ChrisR)
         Too Little Time Carno-Vegi-Industrial-Moderate - (Another Scott)
         Some nits - (admin) - (6)
             Vegans etc. - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                 Welp, since I used to be a non-ethical Vegan... - (admin)
                 macrobiotics, is that like a Hari Krishna dinner? - (boxley) - (3)
                     Don't know about other areas . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         Right: fungi decidedly not satwic ;-) - (Ashton) - (1)
                             It makes perfect sense . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Carno-Moderate to Carnivore - (lincoln)
         Most of the above - (Meerkat) - (3)
             Australian Wine. - (Andrew Grygus)
             Well Australian Wines are far better than Most US wines - (boxley)
             I'm with you. - (FuManChu)
         will only eat vegetarian meat - (boxley)
         Re: Drawing the Battle Lines - (deSitter) - (1)
             I'm about where you are - (ben_tilly)
         Carno-Moderate r'Us. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
             dang fine iced tea it is :-) -NT - (boxley)
             Re: Carno-Moderate r'Us. - (deSitter)
             Year-round, but instant -NT - (drewk)
         Once Macrobiotic, now Industrial - (tjsinclair) - (11)
             Is there a potential market for industrial macrobiotic food? - (boxley) - (10)
                 Not quite miso soup, but . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     seen a lot of viet stores local but no Korean - (boxley)
                 Possibly - (tjsinclair) - (7)
                     Well, there are very good reasons . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                         I prefer using gas myself - (tjsinclair) - (3)
                             Ditto. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 Those buttons are all in a horizontal row? - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                     Yup. You volunteering? ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                         Bad burn with my new electric - (drewk) - (1)
                             New electrics can be dangerous. - (Andrew Grygus)
         Battle lines and labels... - (hnick) - (2)
             ? I'm sure the labels are tongue-in-cheek. - (Another Scott)
             A sense of humor goes well with food . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Omnivore and proud. I guess that make me Carno-Moderate - (Silverlock) - (3)
             Ditto. I like to call it "well-balanced" ;-) - (bepatient)
             Nothing that moves and no insects. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 you mean no whole insects - (boxley)
         Smack in the middle... - (CRConrad) - (17)
             whats a traditional Finnish Breakfast consist of? - (boxley) - (15)
                 Porridge / sandwiches / cereals in sour milk + lots o'coffee -NT - (CRConrad) - (14)
                     sour milk as in buttermilk? how is it soured? -NT - (boxley) - (13)
                         Bacteria cultures; dunno what, exactly. What's "buttermilk"? -NT - (CRConrad) - (10)
                             Buttermilk . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
                                 No, milk doesn't have to be soured to make butter. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                     Buttermilk was invented in the days of the hand churn. - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 why do they call it "sweet cream butter" :-) - (boxley) - (4)
                                     Perhaps a little souring would have eased your churning? - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                         more like deadly taste like sh*t -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                             Note that the sourness is not oil soluable . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                 we had the old crock churn and the paddle with handle - (boxley)
                                 AFAIK Southern mostly - (deSitter)
                             buttermik is the liquid thats left after making butter, - (boxley)
                         Probably mostly creme fraiche, which you can't get . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             Nope. With *cereal*?!? "Corn flakes and Creme Fraiche"??? - (CRConrad)
             Same place on the scale for me -NT - (drewk)
         Not sure where I fall. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
             Do you burn a lot of incense? - (boxley)
         ALL barring the "Vegan" - (folkert) - (2)
             yabbut is mountain dew a vegetable :-) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 That was never 5 minutes... Oh wait. - (folkert)

Coffee, Johnny?
193 ms