IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's not about untrusted users
It's about untrusted developers. Let's say you've got source code control. (You do have source code control, right?) No matter how badly someone goofs up, it's relatively painless to roll back to the last known good state.

So what procedures do you have for rolling back the DB? BEGIN TRANSACTION ... ROLLBACK is nice when you know before the procedure is done that it was wrong, but once you COMMIT, then what? It only takes one mal-formed (or missing [shudder]) WHERE clause to destroy a day's worth of data. So how do you protect the data from bad DELETE queries?
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Who deletes?
Honestly, I've never done a database that *deleted* anything. Instead, records are usually marked inactive. I don't see how a stored proc is going to save you there though - except in one instance I remember some dba creating a delete proc that checked the rowcount from the delete and rolled back if it was greater than 1. Other trick occasionally used is to put a delete trigger on a table that copies the deleted records to a changes logging table. Revoking 'delete' on that table keeps things pretty safe - then you can always roll back.

Also, in practice using an object-relational mapping tool like cayenne - this never comes up since the developer never directly accesses the database - he edits the object graph and commits the changes.

The tree of research must from time to time be refreshed with the blood of bean counters.
     -- Alan Kay
     I don't get your rationale - (tuberculosis) - (10)
         It's not about untrusted users - (drewk) - (1)
             Who deletes? - (tuberculosis)
         Protect the data - (ChrisR) - (7)
             Logins - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                 our app is role based as well - (boxley)
                 I found it interesting that Oracle Apps - (ChrisR) - (4)
                     Well put. - (mmoffitt)
                     Re: I found it interesting that Oracle Apps - (deSitter) - (1)
                         Too flexible - (broomberg)
                     Agree about making the db able to defend itself. - (tuberculosis)

Why did my head just get farther away?
66 ms