IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New what you have to do
Under OSX it doesnt use the /etc/passwd for logins, it uses a database, the easiest method is to boot via cd and choose the reset password option, this changes root password. In future when you want to do adminning rather than using, login directly as root. Otherwise if you are uncomfortable with that give a user admin privileges, like you noticed it asks you for a passwd, what you are doing is a sudo operation. Hope that helps.
thanx,
bill
when I was young I envisioned myself as the embodiment of Trinity, Now I realize I have turned into the Bambino
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Re: what you have to do

Bill,

Thanks - it all falls into place - can see my way through it now

Cheers

Doug
New Also...
...if you want to be root in the terminal, just do "sudo su" :-)

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home Page - Now with added Zing!]
New 1 more Q - when login window appears ...

where does it allow root login. I only get the users that were added ?

Tks

Doug
New setup so that instead of a list of users being displayed
you get a name and passed prompt. Under the system property thingy, admin users, then login toggles. Will get exact after I go home.
thanx,
bill
when I was young I envisioned myself as the embodiment of Trinity, Now I realize I have turned into the Bambino
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New First thing I always do
is open up the Accounts control panel - click on Login Options, Display Login Windows as: Name and Password, uncheck "Automatically login as...", set the rest of the options to taste.

Also open up NetInfo Util and enable the root account. Although - as Peter mentioned - you can also do sudo su, then as root, change the root password with 'passwd root'- that seems to enable the root account as well.

One nice thing is that, even though an account has admin privs, it doesn't run in admin mode all the time - you still have to do sudo or authenticate with a password to do real damage. So I'm always logged in as an admin user but I don't tiptoe with fear when doing an rm like I do when I'm root.

The tree of research must from time to time be refreshed with the blood of bean counters.
     -- Alan Kay
New When looked at this way - seems to be ver well ....

thought out.

I just had trouble find my way there but the benefits of their approach are worth it.

Tks all

Doug
     Setting up the administrator on iBook & PowerBook - (dmarker) - (7)
         what you have to do - (boxley) - (6)
             Re: what you have to do - (dmarker)
             Also... - (pwhysall)
             1 more Q - when login window appears ... - (dmarker) - (3)
                 setup so that instead of a list of users being displayed - (boxley)
                 First thing I always do - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                     When looked at this way - seems to be ver well .... - (dmarker)

Quite another Theatre of operations.
48 ms