IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It wasn't intended to
"In a sentence, you can't take part of the experience and make it stand alone."

It wasn't intended to... but the target audience is already familiar with the other parts of the story. However, it does present something new to people who know the other parts of the story.

The thing that struck me when I watched the movie is that I had NEVER really thought of this specific part of Jesus' death before. Throughout most of my Christian life the crucifixion was glossed over, whitewashed. Jesus on the cross in most art is a clean man who doesn't seem necessarily *comfortable* on the cross with the nails going through him, but at least looks serene. The thought of god-as-man suffering is not something most people want to think about, it's not really reflected in the art...

At any rate. Some people see it as attempting to define Jesus by one thing -- I simply see it as the exploration of a facet of Jesus that was not traditionally explored. And it was powerfully well done.
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New That wasn't my experience
And maybe that is what changes it all for me. I HAD thought about the crucifixion, in much detail before this movie came out. I even had a gruesome sermon recently preached to us (last year, I believe), of a surgeon's-eye-view of the crucifixion. Sort of a doctor's walk through what actually happens to the body...

I almost fled the church, instead I left the room twice to get some air, since I was the piano player. So I don't see how seeing the violence I could barely stand to hear described would change anything about my faith, or my convictions.

I do see though, that if you had never delved into it in any detail, that maybe it could, so I see your side of it also.

Nightowl >8#

"Don't be a cynic and disconsolate preacher. Don't bewail and moan. Omit the negative propositions. Challenge us with incessant affirmatives. Don't waste yourself in rejection, or bark against the bad, but chant the beauty of the good." Ralph Waldo Emerson
New But Gibson has a thing with violence
One of the hardest things to take in "Braveheart" was the bowel-ripping (drawing) scene - which was off-camera. Even something not *shown* is just utterly violent. Now is he just being truthful or is he obsessing on the violence?
-drl
New Perhaps, but existence is not always obsession
Take Full Metal Jacket or Apocalypse Now as other examples where the violence is necessary to begin discussing some of the side-effects of such violence, particularly the mental state of the participants, witnesses, and perpetrators of that violence. Braveheart's disemboweling scene runs along these lines for me. Experiencing a visceral sympathy for Wallace puts me, the audience member, in a different mental state, as my gut tenses, heart races, etc.--when he cries out "Freedom!" it has an effect upon me which would not be present if I were not exposed to the physical trauma, if only vicariously.

My two cents.
I was one of the original authors of VB, and *I* wouldn't use VB for a text
processing program. :-)
Michael Geary, on comp.lang.python
New Re: Perhaps, but existence is not always obsession
If this is the case, why did the news media more or less cover up the fate of the WTC jumpers? Clearly people are NOT comfortable with violence. (At least 200 of 1344 victims in the north tower jumped on 9/11, far more than is generally thought.) Why is it OK to vicariously experience the suffering of a distant historical person, but the actual horror of a living person who might be your neighbor, is off limits?

Actually in Braveheart, I suppose there is nothing gratuitous.
-drl
Expand Edited by deSitter March 15, 2004, 06:55:09 PM EST
New Violence in theatre is different
Violence in the World Trade Center is a tragedy. When we watch a movie or a play (a play -- Shakespeare is one of the most violent playwrights ever!) violence is used to measure the hero or heroine in the face of adversity.

A man learns that his father was murdered by a scheming brother, and tries to avenge his father's restless spirit. In the end, just about everyone dies.

A man learns that he is fated to be king, and is convinced to attain that position by killing everyone in his way. he then learns that he is fated to die, and when the time comes, he rushes into it fearlessly.

A man becomes king, despite a deformity that makes people inclined to distrust him, by killing just about everyone. It a full-scale entire war to undo the damage he did in the process.

Two nations fight over a woman. A lot of people die on both sides.

A great emperor goes power-mad and is murdered by people who used to be his friends.

Violence, violence, violence. When Scarface came out, people called it "too violent." They had a problem with the language, too, so I understand. People didn't like the Godfather because it "glorified the mob." Lots of movies push the envelope and make peopel uncomfortable... that's not the point.

Gibson isn't being targetted because of some supposed violence fetish. He's being targeted as "too violent" because the anti-semitism thing won't stick, and he pissed people off because he bankrolled a film he believed in, risking financial ruin and ridicule, and it turned out to be an amazing success.

Nobody likes an idealist unless they lose. Gibson didn't lose, and now people want him to pay for it.
- Edward Young
New no the movie was something he wanted to do
whether it made dollar one or not. Hollywood wouldnt touch it. I admire a man who forges ahead. John Wayne wanted to make the Alamo, it didnt have the same success. Now Hollywood see's the dollar bill on the wall. What they dont realize is that the christians who are flocking to see what may be the best realistic movie about a central tenet of their religion a documentary as if you were one of the crowd. Anything else out of the bible will be hit or miss. As for me I would love to see a detailed movie wih all the fun bits being shown, the story of Job, hafta rate it XXX I imagine.
thanx,
bill
when I was young I envisioned myself as the embodiment of Trinity, Now I realize I have turned into the Bambino
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New "Get Job!", the movie
Tagline:

"He's lost his job, his woman, and his car keys - and it isn't even 10 AM.

<cue action flick music>

"It's the worst day of his life - and it's just gotten started! It's going to get a LOT worse!"

<action flick explosions and more music>

...Mel Gibson IS Job!"
-drl
Expand Edited by deSitter March 15, 2004, 07:57:31 PM EST
New Re: Violence in theatre is different. Addendum
A man learns that his father, an ex-president, was targetted by a Bad man.
He, now a President, selects/fabricates evidence so as to punish that Bad man (already long on his personal agenda and that of his cronies), thus enlists an entire nation and its young expendables - all while ignoring several Other Bad men.

Many people die, the Bad man's country proves a morass of irreconcilable Differences, most persisting over centuries.

Another country, a party to the plan: suffers hundreds dead and a thousand maimed. (Its people blame the pact of support for the invasion of Bad man #1, and now seek to end that support, as they ended that Government.)

Stay tuned for the denouement. Shakespeare would have been proud!

The fault lies not in the stars, dear Brutus, but in ourselves, for we are underlings.
New So then...
Are you in favor of banning Shakespeare on the grounds that George Bush is an idiot?
- Edward Young
New It's always less risky to shoot dead messengers___:-\ufffd
New LOL. Well writ!
- Edward Young
New So what?
I have a think with punk rock music. If I were to write a rock opera about the life of Christ, I'd probably set it to punk rock music. It's just the medium I'm comfortable with.

The same people who are accusing Gibson of being obsessed with violence are the ones who profess righteous indignation whenever some right-wing group decrys the presence of sex in film -- as the should. But why the hypocrisy?

And after seeing the disembowling scene in Braveheart I personally wondered what all the fuss was about. I mean, it has nothing on the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
- Edward Young
New Ah, now that's a question, then.
What do you call "punk rock"?

My idea of punk is Agnostic Front, The Exploited, or Rollins Band.

Please don't say "Offspring" or "Green Day". Please.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home Page - Now with added Zing!]
New Re: Ah, now that's a question, then.
Bah. Subhumans (English, not Canadian, though Canadian were OK), the Damned, Sex Pistols, Clash, Die Krutzen, UK Subs, Black Flag, Youth Brigade, Minor Threat, on and so forth

Ag Front is more accurate old school hardcore. Exploited fits, but verges on hardcore as well.

Big Black is one of the greatest bands ever, but not quite punk. I just thought I'd throw that into the mix.
- Edward Young
New You answer wisely, young Jedi :)
Can't fall off with that lot...

Peter
New Forgetting DK?
New No, not forgetting.
I like DK, but not as much as the bands on that list.

I mean, I didn't know I was supposed to list *all* the punk bands I liked. :D
- Edward Young
New They are derivative
-drl
New On hardcore...
...my idea of "hardcore" is Napalm Death, Doom, Electro Hippies et al.

The aggies sound like Kylie Minogue next to that lot ;)

Peter
New Black Flag, The Ramones, Richard Hell, Souxie
-drl
Expand Edited by deSitter March 15, 2004, 07:46:16 PM EST
New Reminds me of Scratch Acid
and their cover of Damned For All Time from Jesus Christ Superstar.

dada-dada-dada-dada-dat-dah.
--
Chris Altmann
     houghtful commentary on gibsons movie, the Passion - (boxley) - (58)
         Ever see 'Dogma'? - (drewk)
         More - anti-Jew stance still a winner - (deSitter) - (56)
             interesting point made - (boxley) - (1)
                 Ah, the Bush technique of selecting press questioners. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             I think you've flipped. - (Nightowl) - (12)
                 C'est l'eau de Saint Louis -NT - (pwhysall)
                 Demur - (Ashton) - (10)
                     Did that help, Owl? -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                         Re: Did that help, Owl? - (Nightowl) - (1)
                             The french means, more or less - (hnick)
                     Sorry Ashton, - (Nightowl) - (6)
                         Re: Sorry Ashton, - (deSitter) - (3)
                             You forget, Ross - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                 Fair enough - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     Okay - (Nightowl)
                         There's a certain mindset in the grognard crew... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                             Strangely.. - (deSitter)
             That's a crock, de - (cwbrenn) - (40)
                 read the book, :-) and got a question for ya - (boxley) - (2)
                     I did, in fact. - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                         good review - (boxley)
                 Re: That's a crock, de - (deSitter) - (32)
                     Re: That's a crock, de - (cwbrenn) - (25)
                         ignore - (deSitter)
                         Re: That's a crock, de - (deSitter) - (22)
                             It wasn't intended to - (cwbrenn) - (21)
                                 That wasn't my experience - (Nightowl)
                                 But Gibson has a thing with violence - (deSitter) - (19)
                                     Perhaps, but existence is not always obsession - (FuManChu) - (8)
                                         Re: Perhaps, but existence is not always obsession - (deSitter) - (7)
                                             Violence in theatre is different - (cwbrenn) - (6)
                                                 no the movie was something he wanted to do - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     "Get Job!", the movie - (deSitter)
                                                 Re: Violence in theatre is different. Addendum - (Ashton) - (3)
                                                     So then... - (cwbrenn) - (2)
                                                         It's always less risky to shoot dead messengers___:-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                             LOL. Well writ! -NT - (cwbrenn)
                                     So what? - (cwbrenn) - (9)
                                         Ah, now that's a question, then. - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                             Re: Ah, now that's a question, then. - (cwbrenn) - (5)
                                                 You answer wisely, young Jedi :) - (pwhysall)
                                                 Forgetting DK? -NT - (FuManChu) - (2)
                                                     No, not forgetting. - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                                                         They are derivative -NT - (deSitter)
                                                 On hardcore... - (pwhysall)
                                             Black Flag, The Ramones, Richard Hell, Souxie -NT - (deSitter)
                                         Reminds me of Scratch Acid - (altmann)
                         Re: That's a crock, de - (pwhysall)
                     Re: That's a crock, de - (cwbrenn)
                     Sorry, I keep responding piecemeal. - (cwbrenn) - (4)
                         It's very simple - (deSitter) - (3)
                             Sure... a degree of sensitivity, yes - (cwbrenn) - (2)
                                 No they were plotting to kill an upstart rabbi - (boxley) - (1)
                                     Re: No they were plotting to kill an upstart rabbi - (cwbrenn)
                 Good to see you! - (pwhysall) - (3)
                     Thank you! - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                         Excellent... - (pwhysall)
                     Ditto.. and a small dot.NYET, .NIT re page: - (Ashton)

I hope you are enjoy it.
235 ms