IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Join the tables and only select from one of them
AHA! Never mind. I really didn't think it would accept an sql statement as the table def, and the "help" system wouldn't give me the syntax anyway.
New I can't figure that strategy out.
Access 2k and following seem to have gone out of their way to deny SQL ever existed, at least in the documentation. I will *always* write:

Set rstA = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM tblALS_Add WHERE BatchNo = " + xxx, dbOpenDynaset)

...before I use the brain-dead query builder tools.

Can I assume your AHA! meant you tried something like:

sql = "SELECT * FROM tblALS_Add WHERE EXISTS (SELECT * FROM tblALS_V WHERE tblALS_V.BatchNo = tblALS_Add.BatchNo)"
Set rstA = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(sql, dbOpenDynaset)

...or...

sql = "SELECT tblALS_Add.* FROM tblALS_V LEFT JOIN tblALS_Add ON tblALS_V.BatchNo = tblALS_Add.BatchNo"
Set rstA = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(sql, dbOpenDynaset)

?
I was one of the original authors of VB, and *I* wouldn't use VB for a text
processing program. :-)
Michael Geary, on comp.lang.python
New I think
his Ah-hah was that he realized that in Access you can use a query as a primary record source.

Like he uses the QBE grid to create a query on Table A that returns the rows he needs and saves it as qryA. Then does a "select foo from qryA where ..."

That's only my interpretation of what he wrote, of course ;0)

bcnu,
Mikem

I don't do third world languages. So no, I don't do Java.
New Ya, that's it.
I used:

strSQL = "SELECT tblBLS_Add.* FROM tblBLS_Add WHERE (((tblBLS_Add.BatchNo)=" & Me![BatchNo] & "));"

Set rstA = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbOpenDynaset)

Now I'm having trouble with a stupid form losing its filter after doing a bunch of code. It's completely baffling me. And I can't reset the filter with code either.

[Edit] WEEEEEE!!!! Fixed it. But actually a head-slap because I myself was causing the filter to go off from a bit of code that I lifted for use from a different application. Bad me.
Expand Edited by acagle March 15, 2004, 06:08:27 PM EST
Expand Edited by acagle March 15, 2004, 06:08:48 PM EST
New Cut and paste is a known killer! :)
Alex

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom ... the argument of tyrants ... the creed of slaves. -- William Pitt, addressing the British House of Commons (1783)
     OpenRecordset in Access. - (acagle) - (13)
         Join the tables and only select from one of them -NT - (ben_tilly) - (6)
             Re: Join the tables and only select from one of them - (acagle)
             Re: Join the tables and only select from one of them - (acagle) - (4)
                 I can't figure that strategy out. - (FuManChu) - (3)
                     I think - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                         Ya, that's it. - (acagle) - (1)
                             Cut and paste is a known killer! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Bookmarks? - (altmann)
         'Nother question. - (acagle) - (4)
             Oooh, fun :-) - (ben_tilly)
             SELECT DISTINCT or a GROUP BY -NT - (ChrisR) - (1)
                 In access, I think its Select DistinctRow -NT - (mmoffitt)
             Make and examine a "Find Duplicates" Query - (FuManChu)

I'm sure when this came out, it was better than whatever else was out. Want to play chess with me, son? No way, Dad.
117 ms