IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Agreed
I have no problems paying tax for schooling for the community at large, whether I'm a homeschooler, a public school user, or someone without children at all. Schooling is something the community should be responsible for.

I agree here. I homeschool and own a house. I pay property tax that funds schools (under New Mexico, my taxes actually augment schools throughout the state). I also pay local Gross Reciept Taxes that pay for buses I don't ride either. *shrug* It's part of the cost of living in a community/society

Property tax isn't a good way to pay for it. School tax should just be a part of income tax and be done with it.

I also agree here. What bothers me is the 'devide and conquer' approach to taxes that hides how much is being paid and what it's going for. A little tax here, a little tax there...
Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New squirms and taxation
Property tax is one way of trying to make sure the people living there care more than a fly's eyes about the property they're being taxed about.

OK, maybe property tax shouldn't be used for education. I can live with that argument.

Someone renting an apartment and who does not (directly) pay a property tax.... what do they care about the (invisible) tax on their (rented) property any more than they care about the (invisible) tax on their income?
To answer that, I have a counter-argument. When I pay my $800 check every six months or so, I damn well care about it. Dammit, make people pay their taxes every three months, six months, whatever and make them SWEAT. When I pay my taxes (and I know I'm unusual, I don't have that folded into my mortgage payment), I see a summary of what is spent toward schools, toward streets, toward sewers, toward the stadium, toward stupid statue at the corner, etc.

If there is no one other thing in favor of it, I favor property tax paying for schools because there are people who are writing checks to pay for it. Direct out-of-pocket expenses invite a LOT closer look than just dumping some state or federal money on it..
French Zombies are zapping me with lasers!
     popeye the movie was about LA - (boxley) - (57)
         Theft, outright theft - but not *from* whom you might think. - (CRConrad) - (56)
             I know how to make proper - (boxley) - (1)
                 So? - (CRConrad)
             Not really. - (addison) - (53)
                 I've never liked personal property tax. - (admin) - (52)
                     But OTOH, the whole idea of "double taxation" is BS, too. -NT - (CRConrad)
                     That's just cause they use it to pay for schools. :) - (addison) - (50)
                         No, it isn't. - (admin) - (49)
                             wrong nothing is free - (boxley) - (3)
                                 It is in Michigan. - (admin) - (2)
                                     learn something new everyday - (boxley) - (1)
                                         Heh. - (admin)
                             Teach me to be snide in subject titles. - (addison) - (42)
                                 Children are the responsibility of the community IMO - (admin) - (41)
                                     Disagreed - (Fearless Freep) - (40)
                                         So... - (admin) - (33)
                                             Re: So... - (Fearless Freep) - (32)
                                                 Actually, s/schools/schooling - (admin) - (2)
                                                     Don't think so - (Fearless Freep) - (1)
                                                         As a home schooler... - (admin)
                                                 Problem is... - (pwhysall) - (28)
                                                     Re: Problem is... - (Fearless Freep) - (13)
                                                         And.... - (addison)
                                                         Stakes are high - (pwhysall) - (11)
                                                             Yup - (Fearless Freep) - (9)
                                                                 And? - (pwhysall) - (8)
                                                                     Re: And? - (Fearless Freep) - (7)
                                                                         Er? - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                                                             Same thing - (Fearless Freep) - (4)
                                                                                 It's slightly different - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                                                     Re: It's slightly different - (Fearless Freep)
                                                                                     Re: It's slightly different - (qstephens) - (1)
                                                                                         couldnt you have just pulled out yer gun and? - (boxley)
                                                                         Limitations of social workers - (pwhysall)
                                                             I don't believe I said that. - (addison)
                                                     Assuming.. - (Fearless Freep) - (13)
                                                         Not nearly as equivocal - (pwhysall) - (11)
                                                             My way? - (Fearless Freep) - (10)
                                                                 I'm sorry - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                                                     Re: I'm sorry - (Fearless Freep) - (8)
                                                                         Is that a price that you're willing to pay? - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                                                             Turn it around - (Fearless Freep) - (6)
                                                                                 I'm the someone else - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                                                                     Couple of nits... - (addison) - (1)
                                                                                         Re: Couple of nits... - (admin)
                                                                                     Would it? - (Fearless Freep) - (2)
                                                                                         That's a highly pathological example - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                             Peter, there has to be a better way. - (boxley)
                                                         NULL, ignore me please. - (pwhysall)
                                         And also note: - (admin) - (5)
                                             Fair point - (Fearless Freep) - (4)
                                                 Not much that can be done about it. - (admin) - (3)
                                                     Above thread describes the ickiest of human 'interactions' - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                         Kind of hits close to home... - (mhuber) - (1)
                                                             If I had a clumsy kid.. - (Ashton)
                             Agreed - (Fearless Freep) - (1)
                                 squirms and taxation - (wharris2)

I said, "What's your sign?" She said, "Aquarium." I said, "Great! Let's get tanked!"
110 ms