IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Critical Thinking Model
Ok I am taking that Critical Thinking class and it is a challenge.

I have to write a paper on a critical thinking model, but I am having problems looking for an article to cite on this. This is the fifth paper I will write, I got A's on the first three papers and haven't gotten the fourth one back yet, but this stuff is very hard for me to do.

I think I have improved on myself as the past dozen posts or so I made didn't get any flames or people calling me an idiot, etc. :)

Any help here? I need a model I can follow as well as write a paper on. Our book does not list any models, just tools that we use for critical thinking. I did a Google search but did not find any good models to use, just the usual college fluff on critical thinking that has nothing to do with what I am writing about.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New critical thinking model
picture a rules based snmp weighted event program.
thanx,
bill
when I was young I envisioned myself as the embodiment of Trinity, Now I realize I have turned into the Bambino
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Sorry, what?

picture a rules based snmp weighted event program.

Not even sure what that is.

Perhaps I can put the tools together to form my own model of critical thinking?

Assumptions, perception, questions, arguments, fallacy, language, emotion, Research, define the problem, examine evidence, analyze assumptions, biases, etc.

I hope I can do it by tomorrow sometime, I got the pieces, but I do not yet know how they fit into a model of critical thinking.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New here is an example hopefully bolstered by those more in tune
with your course work
critical thinking is result oriented programming
two columns pro and con
events need to be evaluated against a postulation
for each event a rule is populated both pro and con then weighted
lets use purchasing a new home for an example with bogus numbers to make the math easy.
house cost 100k to buy, 5% interest requires 5%down vs renting same for $1000 per month (usual formulae rent is cost/100}
pro weight con weight
tax deduction of points taxes and insurance cost of finding 5% down vs standard deduction of 9500 per year for tax purposes

rent is 1k piti is 1k (high tax area)
costs of maintenance vs landlord pays breakage
valuation in that area is it going up or stagnant
do you have kids that school district layout might effect pro or con(great elementary but drug high)
neighborhood association or special tax district needs and possible special assessments.
values weighted for commute purposes, is mass transit availalable desirable why?
cost of landscaping youe, landlords, neighborhood associations.
shopping church and medical care availability weighted.
etc.
thanx,
bill

when I was young I envisioned myself as the embodiment of Trinity, Now I realize I have turned into the Bambino
New Good, but too technical
I have to write something that my teacher will be able to read and grade. If I get too technical she will take off points. She wants us to keep it as simple as possible anything that is not common knowledge. Result oriented programming is not common knowledge to the average business person. I have to write it so that even a "Modern Primative" can understand it, if you know what I mean. I borrowed that phrase from Billy Idol's Cyberpunk CD, song "Wasteland", I can't think of a better term for the common business layman/laywoman that hardly knows anything about technology, etc.

New that example was from a psych class :-)
Using such a tool with patients you can "teach" them to recognise disordered thinking.
thanx,
bill
New Sadly there is no Psych class at this college
I'll have to pick it up at a Community College after I graduate. Thanks.

New well if your going into management psych 101 is reccomended
New I know but it is not offered in my program
and I am not sure why. Which is why I will take it at a community college after I graduate.

New You idiot!
:-\ufffd

Sorry, couldn't resist . . .

Umm I haven't the foggiest either what {this massive overuse of the concept of} model might be about. Generically, the idea is supposed to imply a kind of structured (?) overview of some topic: list of the axioms deemed necessary to achieve {something} - kind of a "recipe for making recipes" (?)

We know that bizness has fallen in love with The Word, though -- so you can bet that numerous TLAs about Our Business Model shall be stuffed to the gills with bafflegab signifying Nothing, but which sounds "dedicated" (to something Wonderfully vague - like "Our Passion is Helping You to Get Locked-In to Our Really-shitty Software .. Forever.")

So in that general sense, the words you listed
Assumptions, perception, questions, arguments, fallacy, language, emotion, Research, define the problem, examine evidence, analyze assumptions, biases
- - seem to me about as unsorted, tangential and intermixed as: maybe to be just what this 'class' Wants !? Y'know? ... sounds like a streamofconsciousness kinda gig, so

Go For It

Remember: even The Beast has a clause in their {ugh} Mission Statement on...

ethics.

Hey, if you are getting As (while honest enough to admit.. "still often confused") WTF do you suppose are the talents of your fellow classmates ??
[Important Question, this]

And just WHAT is it that these imagine they shall .. "next apply", in some imagined new job in the Murican workforce? Sorry I can't explain clearly why it is that - this class sounds Scary. Take too many words.

Still.. get those As on your resum\ufffd: Appearances Count Most in '04, most places.

Luck,

Ashton

(And don't worry.. if after the class, you aren't very sure of what it is you 'Learned', OK? Par for course.)
New Based on a quick Google
It seems that some business people took naive descriptions of the scientific method and are trying to pretend that they work that way.

I can recommend no articles on the topic. Even if I ran across one it wouldn't stick because I would consider the material a combination of remedial and riddled with errors. (Bringing to the table a good understanding of how attempts to follow similar reasoning processes have actually played out over a few centuries of effort.)

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New I concur
I did a Google search and it did not turn up anything that could help me. I also did a college library article search.

Looks like I will have to try and develop my own model, other classmates tell me they are doing that as well due to lack of factual critical thining model articles.

Thanks for all those who replied to this thread.

Critical Thinking Model - (orion) - (11)
         critical thinking model - (boxley) - (7)
             Sorry, what? - (orion) - (6)
                 here is an example hopefully bolstered by those more in tune - (boxley) - (5)
                     Good, but too technical - (orion) - (4)
                         that example was from a psych class :-) - (boxley) - (3)
                             Sadly there is no Psych class at this college - (orion) - (2)
                                 well if your going into management psych 101 is reccomended -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                     I know but it is not offered in my program - (orion)
         You idiot! - (Ashton)
         Based on a quick Google - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             I concur - (orion)

Duuuude...?
68 ms