in order to be a criminal you have to break a criminal law. This was a user agreement between the organization and the user. The agreement was broken, hence the organization was able to get a judge to decide in their favor. Do not mistake this for an actual criminal law on the books. The closest it could come to would be fraud, or computer fraud, or intent to commit fraud or computer fraud.

Many organizations do this, pay for one account and have employees share it. The law firm that I used to work for had bought one MSDN account and had the developer's share it rather than get 12 different accounts, etc. A violation of the agreement with Microsoft, but they did it to save money. They also installed MSDN software on production machines. You would think a law firm knew better, but it was business as usual. They even had a policy against using the Internet under an alias or different name, yet everyone did that or shared accounts. I had permission to use a different account, but they dinged me on it anyway because they wanted to get rid of me. Not a hot stove rule, only was set to burn one person and let the rest get away Scott-Free.