IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: ZOC is looking very good - has many similar functs to
TE/2

One very unique funct in TE/2 was the ability to initiate concurrent listener tasks on a modem in line, max 32, where a task can wait and will signal if a particular pattern comes in (i.e. LineWaitMulti, 120, "ZMODEM INPUT" then also an extra LineWaitMulti, 120, "XMODEM". When the reply pattern arrives (say XMODEM) that signal is triggered & baranced to and all the other concurrent waits are terminated.

ZOC has this function. - It looks like ZOC has taken over rom TE/2 as TE/2 was designed to run on OS/2 & the author basicallypulled out in 1999 & 1999 is the year this ZOC program seems to have been born.

This looks like a big win for us. I will know better at work tomorrow when I try the commands for reading input lines. At first glance it seems it supports input data that can consist of ctl chars. ZOC has ^[ for ESC which FileLInk3000 didn't. ZOC has many other codes that get translated to ctl-chars (just like TE/2).

Once again many thanks. This project is a big issue at work as many millions of $ of orders reach us via several old OS/2 boxes. These have been failing at a rate that has cause us great grief esp between the Business pillar and IT.

I have plans to migrate the whole thing to interface to web services (have developed the prototyped & demoed it to IT 2 weeks back). We have 2 each of these OS/2 servers in each state.

Cheers & thanks

Doug Marker

#2 - Just looked at the MINIHOST example in ZOC & right there was a very similar protocol to the one we are using. ZOC explicitly allows waiting for ctl chars to be input. In the Minihost script it waits for a ^H from the login user while our protocol is a wait for a ^[ (esc).

It seems that our TE/2 driver script will not require anywhere near as much effort to convert to ZOC as it was going to be for FileLink3000.

#2 Also checked Kermit95 - its scripting language is Unix like & it would not readily marry with our many REXX processing scripts called by TE/2. But ZOC uses Enterprise Alternatives version of REXX & this is what I have been using for some years. ZOC looks so much like TE/2 that it can't be a coincidence. This is certainly out lucky day.
Expand Edited by dmarker Feb. 29, 2004, 04:46:20 AM EST
Expand Edited by dmarker Feb. 29, 2004, 04:49:44 AM EST
New Zoc goes back to at least 1993.
There's mention on Usenet of v1.00 being used on 12/25/1993. I bought my registration in 1996. :-)

If I remember correctly, Zoc - Zap-O-Comm, started out on the Amiga and then was ported to OS/2. The Windows version came out in 1995-ish.

I'm glad it looks like it'll do the job for you. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New I used to love zoc on OS/2... *smile*

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

Need advice on async swre (that does xyzmodem) - (dmarker) - (7)
         Kermit95 must be able to do what you want. Also Zoc. - (Another Scott) - (4)
             Re: Kermit95 must be able to do what you want. Also Zoc. - (dmarker) - (3)
                 Re: ZOC is looking very good - has many similar functs to - (dmarker) - (2)
                     Zoc goes back to at least 1993. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         I used to love zoc on OS/2... *smile* -NT - (imric)
         Re: Need advice on async swre (that does xyzmodem) - (qstephens) - (1)
             Re: Need advice on async swre (that does xyzmodem) - (dmarker)

Spend a year in the army of a Nordic country, and you learn all there is to know about drying socks.
55 ms