IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Need advice on async swre (that does xyzmodem)

We have a bunch of OS/2 PCs running 2.1 that are used for dial-in, & run a great async program called TE/2 (term emu /2).

This program supports very powerful scripting and allows its scripts to call REXX scripts from within the TE/2 scripts.

We have to move off these OS/2 boxes and this has to be onto Windows2000 (for now). We had found what we thought was the perfect replacement 'FileLink3000'.

We began converting our main TE/2 script to a FL3000 script but hit a stupid show-stopper. FL3000 unlike other async programs that also supportXYZModem, will *not* allow looking for control chars on the input line (it allows you to send ctl chars as output).

We have a protocol that *must* be followed that has the dial-in user send an esc char after they dial-in. The TE/2 script allows us to watch for it. FL3000 converts *all* non printable chras to a preset fill char (default space).

I can't find any way around this & thus we have decide to junk FL3000.

Does anyone know if Kermit95 scripting allows for searchingincoming data for patterns & or ctl chars ?

Kermit95 supports XYZModem (plus CKermit etc:). It claims it has a scripting language but it is hard to find details of it from the Kermit website.

Perhaps there is another program that does what we want ?.

Tks

Doug Marker

New Kermit95 must be able to do what you want. Also Zoc.
I don't have a copy of the manual here, unfortunately. :-( Have you checked [link|http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckscripts.html|here]? C-Kermit/Kermit95 can do just about anything involving PC-PC communications.

Another program to consider is Zoc. It has OS/2 and Windows versions and uses REXX for scripting. It sounds like another good fit.

[link|http://www.emtec.com/zoc/features.html|Zoc Features]. Marcus is very good about updating it. It's shareware, $69. It's not cheap but is very good software.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Kermit95 must be able to do what you want. Also Zoc.

Have downloaded ZOC & will look at it now. The fact that it supports REXX is a big plus.

Many thanks - will let you know what transpires.

Doug
New Re: ZOC is looking very good - has many similar functs to
TE/2

One very unique funct in TE/2 was the ability to initiate concurrent listener tasks on a modem in line, max 32, where a task can wait and will signal if a particular pattern comes in (i.e. LineWaitMulti, 120, "ZMODEM INPUT" then also an extra LineWaitMulti, 120, "XMODEM". When the reply pattern arrives (say XMODEM) that signal is triggered & baranced to and all the other concurrent waits are terminated.

ZOC has this function. - It looks like ZOC has taken over rom TE/2 as TE/2 was designed to run on OS/2 & the author basicallypulled out in 1999 & 1999 is the year this ZOC program seems to have been born.

This looks like a big win for us. I will know better at work tomorrow when I try the commands for reading input lines. At first glance it seems it supports input data that can consist of ctl chars. ZOC has ^[ for ESC which FileLInk3000 didn't. ZOC has many other codes that get translated to ctl-chars (just like TE/2).

Once again many thanks. This project is a big issue at work as many millions of $ of orders reach us via several old OS/2 boxes. These have been failing at a rate that has cause us great grief esp between the Business pillar and IT.

I have plans to migrate the whole thing to interface to web services (have developed the prototyped & demoed it to IT 2 weeks back). We have 2 each of these OS/2 servers in each state.

Cheers & thanks

Doug Marker

#2 - Just looked at the MINIHOST example in ZOC & right there was a very similar protocol to the one we are using. ZOC explicitly allows waiting for ctl chars to be input. In the Minihost script it waits for a ^H from the login user while our protocol is a wait for a ^[ (esc).

It seems that our TE/2 driver script will not require anywhere near as much effort to convert to ZOC as it was going to be for FileLink3000.

#2 Also checked Kermit95 - its scripting language is Unix like & it would not readily marry with our many REXX processing scripts called by TE/2. But ZOC uses Enterprise Alternatives version of REXX & this is what I have been using for some years. ZOC looks so much like TE/2 that it can't be a coincidence. This is certainly out lucky day.
Expand Edited by dmarker Feb. 29, 2004, 04:46:20 AM EST
Expand Edited by dmarker Feb. 29, 2004, 04:49:44 AM EST
New Zoc goes back to at least 1993.
There's mention on Usenet of v1.00 being used on 12/25/1993. I bought my registration in 1996. :-)

If I remember correctly, Zoc - Zap-O-Comm, started out on the Amiga and then was ported to OS/2. The Windows version came out in 1995-ish.

I'm glad it looks like it'll do the job for you. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New I used to love zoc on OS/2... *smile*

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Re: Need advice on async swre (that does xyzmodem)
Zoc's your package. Got OS/2 and Windows versions. I've used it for a long time - but not for two years or so - but never bothered with serious scripting.
qts
New Re: Need advice on async swre (that does xyzmodem)

What surprised me a little is that I spent half a day googling 'async xyzmodem' but didn't turn up many useful entries. It was only here that I learned of ZOC from Scott.

I was sure there had to be something as good as TE/2 out there. After reading the command manual & example scripts last night I suspect ZOC may be even more comprehensive than TE/2.

Doug

Need advice on async swre (that does xyzmodem) - (dmarker) - (7)
         Kermit95 must be able to do what you want. Also Zoc. - (Another Scott) - (4)
             Re: Kermit95 must be able to do what you want. Also Zoc. - (dmarker) - (3)
                 Re: ZOC is looking very good - has many similar functs to - (dmarker) - (2)
                     Zoc goes back to at least 1993. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         I used to love zoc on OS/2... *smile* -NT - (imric)
         Re: Need advice on async swre (that does xyzmodem) - (qstephens) - (1)
             Re: Need advice on async swre (that does xyzmodem) - (dmarker)

Right-eous-ness cha cha cha.
96 ms