IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New use an outlet, go to jail
I thought it was silly when I heard recently about a San Francisco coffee house that offers free wireless internet but charges for use of electrical outlets, but then I read this:
Student busted for plugging laptop into train station outlet

BERLIN (AP) -- A student in central Germany is accused of stealing electricity -- less than a penny's worth.

Police busted the student after he plugged his laptop computer into an outlet at a train station.

German prosecutors say they're investigating the student for pilfering less than a cent's worth of electricity.

Police originally suspected the laptop was stolen. But after the student proved he owned the computer, prosecutors opened the theft of power investigation.

A prosecutor said if there's a suspicion of a crime, they have no choice but to investigate. However, officials said the charges will likely be dropped.
[link|http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2004/02/27/student_busted_for_plugging_laptop_into_train_station_outlet/|http://www.boston.co...n_station_outlet/]

This could be an excellent tactic under our own Patriot Act...but of course, one of the glories of the Land of the Free is that we are bound up in such snarls and coils of petty prohibitions that almost any of us could be nailed on something if the authorities felt themselves sufficiently provoked. A similar approach is widely used in many workplaces (not, of course, my own), I'm told.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New The charges were dropped.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Ohm my God that was a good one
-drl
New Watt is up with all the puns?
New Not our fault, that's what it said on the news wire
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New you mean ground fault
Who will be the first to work in that the actions of the Chermans was revolting?
-drl
New Currently, this sounds like the Power Law to me.
WWJD? JWRTFM.
New Shocking.
-----
Steve
New Re: Shocking.
Well, I note that the "News Picks" forum is described on the index page as "Current news you'd like to talk about."

cord-ially,

Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New Watt are you getting all amped up about, shorty?
-----
Steve
New Re: Shocking.
I have a friend who was valedictorian at his high school in Tenafly NJ in the mid 60s - now this was a good school in a well-to-do area, so such an achievement was not without honor.

But, far from seeing this honor as an opportunity to rhapsodize on life's possibilities tto a captive audience in the usual insufferable manner, he wrote a deliberately over-the-top valediction that was filled with as many terms from modern math and physics - group, ring, etc. etc. as could be jammed in. While he's giving this inspiring oration his nerdy friends are twittering and guffawing as each term appears. It must have been a great performance.
-drl
New Ouch that Hertz!

The tree of research must from time to time be refreshed with the blood of bean counters.
     -- Alan Kay
New :-)
New ZOINK - the kid has potential!
-drl
New Re: Why?, He stole at least 50 cycles from the station ???
<br>
Expand Edited by dmarker Feb. 27, 2004, 06:43:42 PM EST
New Cost of prosecution in the hundereds dollars, no doubt
--

The number of the beast - vi vi vi
--[link|http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?QuotesOnComputers|Delexa Jones]
New Stop that, don't you see we're having a pun war here?
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New he doesnt have the capacitor to unnerstan
when I was young I envisioned myself as the embodiment of Trinity, Now I realize I have turned into the Bambino
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New My resistance is quite high, yes.
--

The number of the beast - vi vi vi
--[link|http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?QuotesOnComputers|Delexa Jones]
New Mho's the pity
-drl
New He did it with great reluctance, I'll bet.
New Re: dup
Expand Edited by dmarker Feb. 27, 2004, 10:34:39 PM EST
New Re: He saw a sign wave as he entered - 'power point'
New Admin: Please shunt this to a parallel path in Pun forum.
WWJD? JWRTFM.
New Piece is too long use a condenser
when I was young I envisioned myself as the embodiment of Trinity, Now I realize I have turned into the Bambino
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Primary electron fraud - I'd wire Joules Verne, reluctantly
     use an outlet, go to jail - (rcareaga) - (25)
         The charges were dropped. -NT - (admin) - (13)
             Ohm my God that was a good one -NT - (deSitter) - (4)
                 Watt is up with all the puns? -NT - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                     Not our fault, that's what it said on the news wire -NT - (drewk) - (2)
                         you mean ground fault - (deSitter) - (1)
                             Currently, this sounds like the Power Law to me. -NT - (rickw)
             Shocking. -NT - (Steve Lowe) - (3)
                 Re: Shocking. - (rcareaga) - (2)
                     Watt are you getting all amped up about, shorty? -NT - (Steve Lowe)
                     Re: Shocking. - (deSitter)
             Ouch that Hertz! -NT - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                 :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                 ZOINK - the kid has potential! -NT - (deSitter)
             Re: Why?, He stole at least 50 cycles from the station ??? - (dmarker)
         Cost of prosecution in the hundereds dollars, no doubt -NT - (Arkadiy) - (7)
             Stop that, don't you see we're having a pun war here? -NT - (drewk) - (6)
                 he doesnt have the capacitor to unnerstan -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                     My resistance is quite high, yes. -NT - (Arkadiy) - (4)
                         Mho's the pity -NT - (deSitter) - (3)
                             He did it with great reluctance, I'll bet. -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 Re: dup -NT - (dmarker)
                                 Re: He saw a sign wave as he entered - 'power point' -NT - (dmarker)
         Admin: Please shunt this to a parallel path in Pun forum. -NT - (rickw)
         Piece is too long use a condenser -NT - (boxley)
         Primary electron fraud - I'd wire Joules Verne, reluctantly -NT - (Ashton)

Di people dem a beg di super DJ fi more. Because dem love di way wi play di hardcore.
88 ms