IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A moderate number of moons ago.
Post away.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New OT: tomcat question.
Since you volunteered to help Todd, maybe you can tell me something. We kept getting hotspot errors (jvm crashes). I thought we'd identified the root problem - at least it worked on two of three boxes - in that the jdk's didn't like certain c libraries. Now, I'm still getting Signal 11 errors in the jvm.

Judging by the posts at Sun, this is a not all too uncommon problem. Have you seen it? What are the usual suspects if you have? Sun is, as always, no help at all.

TIA.
bcnu,
Mikem

I don't do third world languages. So no, I don't do Java.
New What platform?
And what JDK?

We were getting JVM crashes in a particular encryption routine (Java, no C libs) and an upgrade from 1.2 to 1.4 fixed the issue.

Are you using JNI?
Regards,

-scott anderson

New No JNI.
And we tried a wide variety of JDK's. This one is 1.4.2_03.
tomcat 4.1.29
RH Linux 7.2
Here's what we did (posted at Sun here [a lot of misery on this thread])
[link|http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp?forum=37&thread=307252&start=30&range=15&hilite=false&q=|http://forum.java.su...5&hilite=false&q=]

>>>>>>>Post
We struggled with the same problem for almost two months. Having tried everything suggested here (and various and sundry other things) with no success, we finally downgraded glibc to version 2.2.4. It works and keeps running for weeks.

We were able to identify that the bug is in the garbage collection of the jvm - at least that's where our jvm was crashing all the time. It looks like libjvm.so is dependent upon a bug in glibc that is not there anymore. With any later version of glibc, we saw crashes in anywhere from minutes to a couple of hours, regardless of which jdk we used. After downgrading glibc, we could use virtually any jdk just fine.

If anyone seeing this problem is running tomcat 4.1.29 on a linux distro - and you can, try moving back your glibc.

HTH.
>>>>>>>>>>>Post

The downgrade to 2.2.4 works on our two dual processor boxen, but we have this test/demo box that is 1 processor and it keeps puking w/Signal 11 errors. I had nothing to do with the development of this app. The consultants my PHB hired to do the app could never get it running for longer than a few minutes on anything other than their little box the developed it on. After countless hours, and with the assistance of a real Linux goob, we got this arrangement to work. We thought we had it nailed, but now the problem is back on our single processor box.

What I know about Java you could put in a thimble and have room for your fist. I know less about tomcat and JSP's. But my experience with this has forever poisoned my view of this platform. I have a notion to just recreate this thing using PHP. It's a simple little app - way less complicated than getting this kludge of stuff running happily together.

I can try to get the hs_err... log file up if that would help. But that thread above at Sun has me thinking that we are all getting virtually the same error log.

Thanks for the help.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Re: No JNI.
The problem is I don't have any specific experience... we run OrionServer on Solaris. :-P

You might try the IBM or Blackdown JDKs instead.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New We did. Same problems.
Right before we downgraded glibc, we were about to compile the JDK. I came up with the idea of downgrading glibc after I had a look at the consultant's "development box". That was the only thing that was different. I see in that thread where some folks have tried upgrading to Sun's 1.5 jdk and that eliminated the errors. Since this is a development box, I think I'll try that.
bcnu,
Mikem

New are you using a mixed c and gcc environment?
when I was young I envisioned myself as the embodiment of Trinity, Now I realize I have turned into the Bambino
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
     Anybody integrated apache w/jboss/embedded tomcat via mod_jk - (tuberculosis) - (7)
         A moderate number of moons ago. - (admin) - (6)
             OT: tomcat question. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                 What platform? - (admin) - (3)
                     No JNI. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                         Re: No JNI. - (admin) - (1)
                             We did. Same problems. - (mmoffitt)
                 are you using a mixed c and gcc environment? -NT - (boxley)

Enthusiasm substituting for real talent.
42 ms