IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I got that yesterday...
on my production machine; the thing I do my release builds on.
I tried the obvious things, then pulled the drive and mounted it on a machine in the lab as a second SCSI drive. My data partition was untouched. The C drive was missing the entire "Documents and Settings" directory; ie. no registry any more. Truely FUBAR. I saved my data without incident and the miserable box of bits is probably still re-imaging itself now (we use a LAN based installation system to load a standard image.)

It seems sort of a coincidence. The IT shitweasles have been pushing every patch and anti-virus they can collect onto my machine and no virus has been detected. All our machines have been slowing down though. I can't really say who wrecked my machine. Could have been all the crap pushed by IT; could have been a virus that is undetected; could have been bitrot, as I haven't reloaded the machine for about 15 months. It's probably something worth keeping track of.

Hope you didn't lose anything valuable. Good luck.
New That is weird
I've seen every conceivable manner of Windows death, and I've never even heard of this one before. I think something may be up. I seem to remember a day in February, late, being trotted out a couple of months ago..
-drl
New Sure is.
I wonder if it might be the payload of some innocuous worm that has been lieing dormant for some time waiting for some trigger. I have nothing to support this thought but paranoia and the coincidence. It's the first time I've seen this as well.
Oh ick... interesting times....
New Re: Sure is.
The really weird thing is - it's the SOFTWARE key in particular. This is the most important key in the registry. Of course if your copy of user.dat stored in local settings is missing, that shouldn't directly affect the SOFTWARE key - that's in system.dat and it's under WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32.
-drl
New Yeah, brain fart
The most noticeable thing was that the directory had gone away. On inspection WINNT\\system32\\config\\system and WINNT\\system32\\config\\system.alt had also both gone away as well.
I find the whole thing strange in any event.
Still, toast is toast... the machine is still rebuilding over the network and I'm using a laptop which is murder on my carpal tunnel, so I'm *REALLY* in a mood today.
New True hardware error in my case
IDE drive hosed in certain area, which I assume it where that file was.

I had spent the morning juggling a KVM with my systems. I wanted to be able to see my Windows Desktop on my nice 21" monitor. And I wanted to use my good IBM keyboard that was on my Linux box. So I stole an old Apex Outlook KVM from our graveyard and started plugging stuff in. But then I found an old IBM keyboard that needed some serious cleaning. So I popped the caps, put them in a bucket to soak, and blew the keyboard. But while I was re-arranging I realized that my trackballs were serial but the KVM is PS/2. So I started scrounging for a couple of converters, of which I found 1. But then I realized even when my 21" screen was on Linux I wanted to see my Windows desktop on a 19" screen so I could monitor my email, so I then plugged in a VGA splitter to send the signal to both the 21" and the 19", and I used the switch on the front of the 21" to bounce between my Linux session and my Windows session. And then I realized that I also wanted 2 keyboard active at the same time since when I facing the 19" I wanted the keyboard live even though it was not my primary keyboard. So I added a dual keyboard/single system plug. And then I realized I needed to do the samething with the 2nd trackball, but I couln't find another Serial->PS/2. Since I had found the 2nd good IBM keyboard the KVM didn't look so important anymore, especially since in practice I didn't like bouncing between Windows and Linux on my 21" monitor. So I start to put it back the old way, leaving the good newly washed IBM keyboard in place.

Did you ever read: "If you give a mouse a cookie?"

And then I got the boot error. IT delivered a new box before I left tonight, I just need to install a couple of apps and I'll be fine.
     Windows 2000 Pro Bluescreen on boot - (broomberg) - (16)
         to recover data - (boxley) - (2)
             Toss it - (broomberg) - (1)
                 Are you sure? - (orion)
         Pull the drive - (inthane-chan)
         Oh man that is hosed - (deSitter) - (4)
             ICLRPD - (drewk)
             Nah - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 Nah - (deSitter) - (1)
                     My bad - (pwhysall)
         I got that yesterday... - (hnick) - (5)
             That is weird - (deSitter) - (4)
                 Sure is. - (hnick) - (2)
                     Re: Sure is. - (deSitter) - (1)
                         Yeah, brain fart - (hnick)
                 True hardware error in my case - (broomberg)
         Hard drive errors - (orion)

Anything that ugly should die and be eaten at breakfast.
88 ms