IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New 100baseT clients to a single 1000baseT server
Am I right in thinking that there is no advantage to this arrangement (say, using a 24 port 10/100 switch with 1 1000baseT port) unless I have more than one server on the 1000baseT side of the network?
--
Chris Altmann
New correct
when I was young I envisioned myself as the embodiment of Trinity, Now I realize I have turned into the Bambino
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New More is more...
Theoretically you can have 10 concurrent session of heavy 100Mbit going into a 1000Mbit. Only on a switch though.

The shared media segemtns would kill you if they were indeed shared.

The Collision Domain of the 1000Mbit Port would terribly Miniscule.

Since each Client (say 10 of them) could conceivably not have much collision domain either, especially wiith a store and forward switch with a good backplane.

I personally use a Switch with 200Mbit/port. 24 client ports, switch fabric needs to be 4.8Gbit. As long as you keep the ratio good, you'll see LOTSA goodness.

Right now, I am using these same ratios. I am getting .1-.3 milli-second response times. (100-300 microseconds) which is on a single segment of LAN (1 network).

If you have more than 1 Network, Uplink them with 1000Mbit... it does a network good. You could also use a router with 1000Mbit... but there I start doing 2000Mbit per port for switch fabric.

Reasons for this is called Non-Blocking networking. Nice theory to build a network by, doesn;t always hold true, but gives a very good infrastructure that should last a good number of years before the next upgrade/update.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey

"Lately, The only thing keeping me from being a
  Serial Killer is my distaste for manual labor."
-- Dilbert Calendar, January 4, 2004
New Thanks
That forced me to think about what is going on more carefully. For some reason I was thinking 10x wider instead of 10x faster.

And when I look at a switch like the [link|http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FSM726S.php?view=|Netgear FSM726S] Which has 24 100baseT ports, 2 gigabit ports, and two rear stacking ports (also gigabit?), and assume full duplex, and I add it all up (24*100*2)+(2*1000*2)+(2*1000*2), I get 12.8Gb/s which happily matches the value advertised as non-blocking in the spec?
--
Chris Altmann
     100baseT clients to a single 1000baseT server - (altmann) - (3)
         correct -NT - (boxley)
         More is more... - (folkert) - (1)
             Thanks - (altmann)

Anality R'US.
46 ms