IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Help - odd message on boot up ?

Have a new system that I am reconfiguring - was running ok but I added a new 60GB disk to the existing 40GB - I can't recall this message occuring before but it may have - it is

Primary IDE Channel - no 80 conductor cable installed.

The Disks are both IBM 7200 - I have 2 CDs in the 2nd IDE channel (1 is a 48 x & the other a ITOH R/W 40 x 20 x 10)

Anyone able to suggest what is causing this ? - I note that the IBM slave/master plugging looks odd compared to other IDE drives I have.

Cheers

Doug Marker
New Re: Help - odd message on boot up ?
You *have* got a proper 80 conductor cable in there, and not an old 40-conductor one?

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Re: Spot on - didn't realise ...

When I had installed the 1st disk I had used a new 80 wire cable (didn't know that is what it was.

When I upgraded the motherboard I accidentaly switched that cable to the CD roms (which ran just great).

I have just added in the correct cable & the message has gone. Also the disks do seem faster.

Cheers

Doug
New IIRC...
You need an 80 pin cable to use the ATA-100 interface. It has individual ground lines with each signal line to allow the interface to run faster without signal degradation. If you don't such a cable, it'll run at a slower rate (-66 max I think). Note that, IIRC, if you've got a slower IDE device on the same channel as an ATA-100 device, the interface will run at the slower interface speed. So if you want to get the maximum benefit of an ATA-100 channel, use only fast devices on it (i.e. don't put a CD-ROM with your HD).

I take it as an information message if the system boots and runs fine. If it doesn't run, then I guess you need to buy/install the proper 80 pin Ultra ATA-100 cable.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Ya live and learn - every day

The new motherboards came with new cable packs (as always) I didn't use them as I already had cables (didn't know there was a difference).

So I have now extracted the ATA100 cables from the box & will install them.

I did note that my old CD-roms no longer work & I had to buy 4 new ones. They run like scalded cats -

Thanks guys

Cheers Doug
     Help - odd message on boot up ? - (dmarker2) - (4)
         Re: Help - odd message on boot up ? - (pwhysall) - (1)
             Re: Spot on - didn't realise ... - (dmarker2)
         IIRC... - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Re: Ya live and learn - every day - (dmarker2)

I don't know what "puerile twaddle" means.
37 ms