IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Moving away from RedHat/Fedora
Although I've thought about Debian for the past couple years, I stuck with RedHat because of 1)familiarity, it's what I learned Linux with and 2)RedHat network. I ran up2date as a cron job and didn't think too much about it. This is Good right now, since I have less free time than I used to.

Fedora might be nice, but since I'm switching distros, I'm looking at Debian now. Is there something equivalent to up2date that I can cron?

Thanks!
FAQ! We're scrod!
New how 'bout using up2date?
Fedora can be maintained using tools that are very [link|http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraHOWTO|familiar] to you...
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New Re: how 'bout using up2date?
Right. Perhaps moving to Fedora isn't a big deal, I suspect it's really a non-issue. Since I've been thinking Debian anyway, this is sort of a motivator. However, I found that the non-paid version of RHN was a bit unreliable because there wasn't that much bandwidth devoted to it.
FAQ! We're scrod!
New Something equiv. to up2date
Yes. That would be apt-get. I don't know the exact command, as I like Domination of my updates. But it is totally possible to cron-ify your apt-get update command to have it grab 1) only the latest package lists, or 2) the latest package lists plus the latest packages, but don't install them, or 3) the latest package lists plus the latest packages, and please install them.

Greg will probably reply with the commands needed, but It Can Be Done.
-YendorMike

[link|http://www.hope-ride.org/|http://www.hope-ride.org/]
New Cool. Thanks.
Commands would be appreciated, but knowing that It Can Be Done, I will RTFM.
FAQ! We're scrod!
New Yar... cron-apt is the ticket
Here is the manpage for it:
NAME
cron-apt -- program to update the system using apt-get
SYNOPSIS
cron-apt [configfile]
DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the cron-apt command.

cron-apt is a program that uses the information in /etc/cron-apt/action.d as arguments to apt-get line by line in file order.
OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, see the Info files.
--help
Show summary of options.
CONFIGURATION
Configuration can be done by editing /etc/cron-apt/config and by adding rules to /etc/cron-apt/action.d/ The variables that you can set in /etc/cron-apt/config is documented in the configuration example in /usr/share/doc/cron-apt/examples/config
SEE ALSO
apt-get (1).

This thing works wonders. You can have it just D/L the updates (apt-get update && apt-get -d upgrade) and wait till you get back, therefore not having to wait for D/L.

You can also have it do the download and trivial stuff (apt-get update && apt-get upgrade)

It can do everything that doesn't need any operator interaction as well.

There are many maintainance things you might just wanna look st for this thinger. I know Drew Kime (drook on jabber, dkime here) used to use it for his workstation. I use it to D/L everything at place I don;t have a Local Mirror of needed architectures.

All in all a nice application.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey

"Lately, The only thing keeping me from being a
  Serial Killer is my distaste for manual labor."
-- Dilbert Calendar, January 4, 2004
New Thanks guys. Guess you'll be hearing about my progress soon
WWJD? JWRTFM.
     Moving away from RedHat/Fedora - (rickw) - (6)
         how 'bout using up2date? - (cforde) - (1)
             Re: how 'bout using up2date? - (rickw)
         Something equiv. to up2date - (Yendor) - (1)
             Cool. Thanks. - (rickw)
         Yar... cron-apt is the ticket - (folkert)
         Thanks guys. Guess you'll be hearing about my progress soon -NT - (rickw)

I don’t have time for you.
64 ms