IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New #*%&*& Oracle exp utility
I'm trying to get a dump of our production db and setup a clone on my laptop.

I don't want to export the whole db - there are a bunch of tablespaces in there I don't need and don't have room for.

I have a list of about 4 tablespaces I want. I have tried:

exp sys/syspasswd TABLESPACES=(TS1, TS2, TS3)

the thing says something like "tablespace option not supported in configuration".

Is it because I don't have windows admin rights on the box (yes its on a bloody windows machine)?

The tree of research must from time to time be refreshed with the blood of bean counters.
     -- Alan Kay
New Can you show me the EXACT error?
Along with the exact command you are using?
New I'll have to reproduce it tomorrow
It takes forever using PC Nowhere - like driving a mars rover I expect - and as soon as I fire up the PC it knocks all my other net stuff (linksys and macs) off the network. So its like an hour commitment to do it. :-(

The tree of research must from time to time be refreshed with the blood of bean counters.
     -- Alan Kay
New A workaround of sorts, If all else fails,
why not grab all the table names in those tablespaces and export them that way?

Like, select table_name from all_tables where tablespace_name in ('TS1','TS2','TS3','TS4')

And use the result of that to build your 'TABLES=' parameter for EXP.

It'll even put them back in the right tablespaces if you create all the tables first in the right spots, and put ignore=y in your IMP command.

I figure you know all this anyway, and granted, it's not a pretty solution. But as they say, a stupid plan that works, isn't stupid.

John. Busy lad.
New I'm gradually coming around to that
Just have to keep dashing out for a bigger hammer.

If the stupid box were unix with a decent shell and could handle a command more than once every 30 seconds I'd have hacked a script while connected. But its a bit like planning a sunken vessel salvage operation - you have a limited working time, you're greatly encumbered while working, and the cost of getting to the work site is very high.

Have I mentioned that I dislike windows today?

-- Alan Kay
New If that's EXACT command, you forgot "TRANSPORT_TABLESPACE=Y"
From the manual, Oracle 8 i Utilities, Release 2 (8.1.6), page 1-27:

TABLESPACES

Default: none

When TRANSPORT_TABLESPACE is specified as Y, use this parameter to provide a list of the tablespaces to be exported from the database into the export file.

See Transportable Tablespaces on page 1-60 for more information.

TRANSPORT_TABLESPACE

Default: N

When specified as Y, this parameter enables the export of transportable tablespace metadata. See the Oracle8i Administrator's Guide and Oracle8i Concepts for more information.
The referred-to bit from page 1-60:

Transportable Tablespaces

The transportable tablespace feature enables you to move a set of tablespaces from one Oracle database to another.

To move or copy a set of tablespaces, you must make the tablespaces read-only, copy the datafiles of these tablespaces, and use Export/Import to move the database information (metadata) stored in the data dictionary. Both the datafiles and the metadata export file must be copied to the target database. The transport of these files can be done using any facility for copying binary files, such as the operating system copying facility, binary-mode FTP, or publishing on CD-ROMs.

After copying the datafiles and exporting the metadata, you can optionally put the tablespaces in read/write mode. See Transportable Tablespaces on page 2-60 for more information about importing from an export file that contains transportable tablespace metadata.

Export provides the following parameter keywords you can use to enable export of transportable tablespace metadata.

* TRANSPORT_TABLESPACE
* TABLESPACES

See TRANSPORT_TABLESPACE and TABLESPACES on page 1-27 for more information.

Additional Information: See the Oracle8i Administrator's Guide for details about managing transportable tablespaces. For an introduction to the transportable tablespaces feature, see Oracle8i Concepts.
HTH!

(And, next time... RTFM! :-)

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
You know you're doing good work when you get flamed by an idiot. -- [link|http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/35/34218.html|Andrew Wittbrodt]
New That musta been it
I don't have a manual - just web search on commands.

Anyhow, I found a little undocumented url in the app that you can use to get it to generate a dump - seems to have worked.

Thanks.

-- Alan Kay
     #*%&*& Oracle exp utility - (tuberculosis) - (6)
         Can you show me the EXACT error? - (broomberg) - (3)
             I'll have to reproduce it tomorrow - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                 A workaround of sorts, If all else fails, - (Meerkat) - (1)
                     I'm gradually coming around to that - (tuberculosis)
         If that's EXACT command, you forgot "TRANSPORT_TABLESPACE=Y" - (CRConrad) - (1)
             That musta been it - (tuberculosis)

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
88 ms