IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: blow me read the quoted man pages I cited!!!
You misinterpreted the syntax of the page...

You'll notice that it starts

tar [-]{cvf...}

This means, optional dash, then come any number of options. The tar options MUST come first, and they can be preceded by a dash or not.

tar is one of the oldest things in UNIX. I'm almost certain that the funny option behavior is a consequence of the context you would find tar operating in - dumping and restoring files from tapes - and the dash was needed to allow tar to understand what kind of tape drive it was dealing with. A tar command from that day probably bore little resemblance to a standard UNIX command of today, and looked more like a TSO tape operation with explicit blocking and record layouts.
-drl
New also notice the description of the flags
One of the following flags must be present:

-c Create new archive, or overwrite an existing archive,
adding the specified files to it.
if it must be present what part of optional are you seeing?
berkely needs - unix does not, back in the day.
thanx,
bill
and everywhere the great Curse of the New World, the American Child, in all its raucous, spoiled, undiciplined, selfish ghastliness, the female specimens keeping up an incessant high-pitched whine and the male infants racketing like cowpokes on payday. There's nothing wrong with grown Americans, by and large you wont find heartier men or bonnier women anywhere, but the only remedy I can see for the children is to run Herod for President.
Sir Harold Flashman esquire VC OBE

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Re: also notice the description of the flags
Just the dash is optional. Apparently original tar only had the non-dashed ganged options. The dashes were added for people aready afflicted with automatic switch prefix disease. See docs for gnu tar "Styles".

-drl
New /me/bangs head on floor
bsd man page indicated by example dash required, 1979 unix hard copy shows no such animal. In Xenix dash required, forpro another unix/bsd mix dash required prime MIPS unix dash required unix no dash needed linux eithr or sys5 either or. Evolution at work.
thanx,
bill
and everywhere the great Curse of the New World, the American Child, in all its raucous, spoiled, undiciplined, selfish ghastliness, the female specimens keeping up an incessant high-pitched whine and the male infants racketing like cowpokes on payday. There's nothing wrong with grown Americans, by and large you wont find heartier men or bonnier women anywhere, but the only remedy I can see for the children is to run Herod for President.
Sir Harold Flashman esquire VC OBE

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New s'one send email to ESR or Moen
-drl
     Question for heads - (deSitter) - (23)
         Probably because the dash IS an option on its own, to tar? -NT - (CRConrad) - (16)
             Nice try, but - (deSitter) - (15)
                 No, for many (most?) old commands, that's DOUBLE dash. (*) - (CRConrad) - (14)
                     Re: No, for many (most?) old commands, that's DOUBLE dash. ( - (deSitter) - (13)
                         WTF is "bash"?!? - (CRConrad) - (12)
                             Bzzt, wrong. - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                 Go buy a sense of humour, nitwit. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                     I recognize *funny* jokes perfectly well - (ben_tilly)
                             Re: WTF is "bash"?!? - (deSitter) - (8)
                                 blow me read the quoted man pages I cited!!! - (boxley) - (5)
                                     Re: blow me read the quoted man pages I cited!!! - (deSitter) - (4)
                                         also notice the description of the flags - (boxley) - (3)
                                             Re: also notice the description of the flags - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                 /me/bangs head on floor - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     s'one send email to ESR or Moen -NT - (deSitter)
                                 Then shut the f...heck up and listen, f...numbskull! - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                     jEEEz -NT - (deSitter)
         Unix Programmers Manual Volume 1 Bell Labs - (boxley) - (5)
             Re: Unix Programmers Manual Volume 1 Bell Labs - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                 My edition is 1979 and doesnt state that? what edition are - (boxley)
                 Re: Unix Programmers Manual Volume 1 Bell Labs - (deSitter) - (2)
                     No it doesn't. - (pwhysall)
                     Dash by itself is meaningless in tar - (Arkadiy)

The website with matched socks.
85 ms