IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Unix Programmers Manual Volume 1 Bell Labs
off the shelf tar xvf no - required so perhaps its a bsdish thingey. I am running a bsdish thingey so man tar

NAME
tar - tape archiver

SYNOPSIS
tar [-]{crtux}[befhmopvwzHLPXZ014578] [archive] [blocksize] [-C directory
] [-s replstr ] file1 [file2...]

DESCRIPTION
The tar command creates, adds files to, or extracts files from an archive
file in tar format. A tar archive is often stored on a magnetic tape,
but can be a floppy or a regular disk file.

One of the following flags must be present:

-c Create new archive, or overwrite an existing archive,
adding the specified files to it.

-r Append the named new files to existing archive. Note that
this will only work on media on which an end-of-file mark
can be overwritten.
must be the LSD
thanx,
bill

and everywhere the great Curse of the New World, the American Child, in all its raucous, spoiled, undiciplined, selfish ghastliness, the female specimens keeping up an incessant high-pitched whine and the male infants racketing like cowpokes on payday. There's nothing wrong with grown Americans, by and large you wont find heartier men or bonnier women anywhere, but the only remedy I can see for the children is to run Herod for President.
Sir Harold Flashman esquire VC OBE

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Re: Unix Programmers Manual Volume 1 Bell Labs
Perhaps the clue is here:
One of the following flags must be present
in other words, it's not exactly optional - you must provide a flag! Since you must provide a flag, a "-" would be redundant and possibly confusing by implying the flag was optional.
Alex

The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled. -- Plutarch
New My edition is 1979 and doesnt state that? what edition are
you using? Mine is the manual issued by bell labs,
thanx,
bill
and everywhere the great Curse of the New World, the American Child, in all its raucous, spoiled, undiciplined, selfish ghastliness, the female specimens keeping up an incessant high-pitched whine and the male infants racketing like cowpokes on payday. There's nothing wrong with grown Americans, by and large you wont find heartier men or bonnier women anywhere, but the only remedy I can see for the children is to run Herod for President.
Sir Harold Flashman esquire VC OBE

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Re: Unix Programmers Manual Volume 1 Bell Labs
Good find, my theory is the dash says - beyond this point be tape-drive specific dragons...
-drl
New No it doesn't.
See CRC's answer above.

Also, [link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/info2www?file=/usr/share/info/tar.info.gz|http://guildenstern..../info/tar.info.gz]

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home Page - Now with added Zing!]
Expand Edited by pwhysall Feb. 12, 2004, 03:13:29 AM EST
New Dash by itself is meaningless in tar
Just another file name to add to archive, I think. Dash as an argument to -f means "direct the output to stdout" (or take input from stdin)

Ofcourse, CRC's man page said it all already.

$ tar cf - -
tar: -: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

$ tar cf - test.c
$ tar cf - test.c
test.c
0100644 0027153 0024461 00000000063 10012711566 012563 0
ustar belousa mkgroup-l-d
main(){

puts(strcat("This is a test", "crap"));
}
--

"...and pronounce all four E's in the word 'shit'"
     Question for heads - (deSitter) - (23)
         Probably because the dash IS an option on its own, to tar? -NT - (CRConrad) - (16)
             Nice try, but - (deSitter) - (15)
                 No, for many (most?) old commands, that's DOUBLE dash. (*) - (CRConrad) - (14)
                     Re: No, for many (most?) old commands, that's DOUBLE dash. ( - (deSitter) - (13)
                         WTF is "bash"?!? - (CRConrad) - (12)
                             Bzzt, wrong. - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                 Go buy a sense of humour, nitwit. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                     I recognize *funny* jokes perfectly well - (ben_tilly)
                             Re: WTF is "bash"?!? - (deSitter) - (8)
                                 blow me read the quoted man pages I cited!!! - (boxley) - (5)
                                     Re: blow me read the quoted man pages I cited!!! - (deSitter) - (4)
                                         also notice the description of the flags - (boxley) - (3)
                                             Re: also notice the description of the flags - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                 /me/bangs head on floor - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     s'one send email to ESR or Moen -NT - (deSitter)
                                 Then shut the f...heck up and listen, f...numbskull! - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                     jEEEz -NT - (deSitter)
         Unix Programmers Manual Volume 1 Bell Labs - (boxley) - (5)
             Re: Unix Programmers Manual Volume 1 Bell Labs - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                 My edition is 1979 and doesnt state that? what edition are - (boxley)
                 Re: Unix Programmers Manual Volume 1 Bell Labs - (deSitter) - (2)
                     No it doesn't. - (pwhysall)
                     Dash by itself is meaningless in tar - (Arkadiy)

This is why I am in therapy.
124 ms