IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Access is notorious for that
I have to verify double-entered records and have about a hundred fields to check. It was all working fine when I just had "If val1<>val2 or isnull(val1) and not(isnull(val2)) etc. but then I imported it from Access 2000 into 2003 and 2003 said the procedure was too big. I'd never heard of this before. So I had to cut down on the code by making the comparison a function call.

I knew Access had a maximum size for code per procedure but I've never heard of anybody hitting it before. On the other hand Access is notorious for becoming less functional with each version. Microsoft seems determined to remove something from Access for each feature they add.

Jay
New Also note:
While they haven't actually changed the file format of Access database files and 2003 ostensibly reads 2k MDBs with no conversion needed, they have, apparently, instituted some major changes in how VB code is compiled. This is why my procedure bumped up above the [edit] 64k limit: [link|http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129897|see here:]

The maximum size of the internal code for an individual procedure in Visual Basic version 3.0 is 64K bytes. Microsoft Visual Basic version 4.0 for Windows uses Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications, which generates more generic internal code than does Microsoft Visual Basic version 3.0. This generic code allows for compatibility with a wider range of processors. This makes the internal code larger, so it can cause very large procedures to exceed the 64K limit and fail to compile.

What other processors they may be referring to, I have no idea. But whatever this "generic internal code" does, it can contaminate things. I changed a couple of things in a 2k form using 2003 and it became unuseable (within 2k) due to various errors. Thus, if anyone out there is going to migrate from 2k to 2003, get the KY ready and start limbering up.
Expand Edited by acagle Feb. 12, 2004, 03:39:11 PM EST
New Who will ever need more than 640K? Er, I mean 64K...
--

"...and pronounce all four E's in the word 'shit'"
     Passing Null values. - (acagle) - (5)
         Variant - (JayMehaffey) - (4)
             Re: Variant - (acagle) - (3)
                 Access is notorious for that - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
                     Also note: - (acagle) - (1)
                         Who will ever need more than 640K? Er, I mean 64K... -NT - (Arkadiy)

And yes, IT WORKED!!!!!
36 ms