IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New hey ash or anyone else
want to do some experimenting with microwaves. Have a spare oven to peel apart but want to make it unidirectional and figure out how deep in the earth it will cook. Feel free to email me off line.
thanx,
bill
bill.oxley@icn.bighonkingermancompany.com
can I have my ones and zeros back?
New Be careful...
Hi Bill,

Before you do such an experiment, make sure you have a way of measuring microwave leakage. You don't want to be cooking yourself while you're doing your experiments. The link below lists inexpensive leakage detectors.

Microwave ovens work the way they do because of the way food absorbs microwave radiation of the particular frequency used - 2.45 GHz. Your earth cooking device will have different effectiveness depending on how wet the ground is, what metallic elements are present, etc., etc.

A link to consider is [link|http://rabi.phys.virginia.edu/HTW/microwave_ovens.html|here].

HTH.

Stay curious. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New perfect page with all the info I need
what I plan to try is to remove the door of the oven soak a fire ant mound place the oven over the mound and see if I can kill the queen. All the poisons used around here make me nervous. Leaving them alone is not an option with the kids all running around barefoot.
thanx,
bill
New Why am I thinking bad sci-fi movies?
Giant mutant ants!
New poached ants more like -m
New Them! -- 1954 scifi movie
[link|http://us.imdb.com/Title?0047573|Movie data]
Alex
New What about an Aardvark/Anteater?
Just be careful that it doesn't do anything but eat ants. Eventually it will sniff out the Queen and eat her too.

We have ants in our backyard, everytime the Exterminators say they got rid of them, they keep coming back. I'm so ticked off that I am about to buy/rent an Aardvark/Anteater.
"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"Moe Howard
New Specialized mouth
Those animals can't eat much else.
White guys in suits know best
- Pat McCurdy
New Re: Specialized mouth
But they have claws and can dig in the yard and do other stuff, right?

I thought it was their sticky tounge that helped them eat ants? They have a small mouth, but a very long tounge that is sticky and can go down the Anthill to get the ants. I figure getting a natrual predator of the Ants to take them out would be almost the most natrual way to go?
"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"Moe Howard
New Yep
Can be a dangerous animal. Can do a lot of damage. Can't eat much besides ants.
- Pat McCurdy
New Can dig up my wife's garden and flower bed
to get at the ants, right? Nothing like her losing weeks of hard work in the garden and flower beds so the Anteater can eat all the ants, right? ;)
New Re: What about an Aardvark/Anteater?
Better be careful so you don't end up with a dead anteater/aardvark in your backyard.

According to the Austin paper around 2-3 years ago, a local stream had a massive fish die-off that was first thought to have been caused by chemicals or pollution. After scientific study it turned out that the fished died of poisoning. It seemed that the fish were pigging out on winged fire ants that had landed on the stream's surface. After filling their stomachs, they died as the fire ants defended themselves by biting and injecting their poison into the fish's stomachs.
BConnors
"We will sell no wine, until you pay for it" - Kelly Geister
New Interesting idea.
Be aware that you'll probably have to partially dismantle it first: The doors usually have an interlock preventing them operating with the door open.

But why microwave them? My dad used to pour kerosene down bullant nests. I think it was kerosene.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New the only problem with kerosene and other solvents
is placing large amounts of highly cancerous material to the water supply, which is what oil spills, gas leaks etc do to the environment. Also illegal in all 50 states and in DC. \\That is a first class hazmat material. Also kills the vegetation. My grass might brown but will come back. With kerosene the dirt wont grow anything.
the door interlock is a simple matter of placing a clip over the catch.
thanx,
bill
New Try this
Mix one part liquid dish soap with five parts water. (Different soaps need different ratios. Experiment.) The reason you can't drown out bugs with plain water is that the surface tension of water is high enough that it can't penetrate their ... the things they breath with. (What is that called in ants, anyway?) The soap breaks down the surface tension and drowns them. This was developed for use against "killer bees" in Texas. You might want to google on that to find exact recipes.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New "Ganglia", AFAICR. HTH!
New My microwave practice is pretty rusty..
For one thing though, the 'horn' - inlet behind plastic at top, side - is intended to feed into a 'tuned cavity': yer box! Mismatch there is (back to Helmholtz). ie you might transfer negligible power unless you do a proper match. Recall that, one of the interlock features (should \ufffdswitches Both fail) - IS this low but not negligible spraying out into the room..

Experimental suggestion:

Forget just.. removin doors and of course buggerin their interlocks
{no bugger jokes - I had to explain a sign to a nun from England! once, askin me about a sign on a Big red flashin lite in the control room, When this light flashes - a control circuit has been buggered Heh. Wanna know the definition of tact ?}

Anyway, I'd guess - assumin old ones are so cheap ya don't have to actually Use it again: remove the Klystron assy with its vestigial 'matching horn' and maybe just pattern your add-on to that: to a similar "expansion rate" of the 4 sides. Maybe some links somewhere can give a better clue; 2.4 GHz is pretty low \ufffdwave freq. anyway, so your precision won't need to be of the sort of ~S-band and Real microwave physics.

A valuable piece of data would be: some way to guess the permeability (?) of Your particular Soil / er mound VS that of air - and see a EE book re loading the horn appropriately.

Sorry it ain't a no-brainer - though it might be to someone working daily in RF stuff. I'd definitely invest in an el cheapo leakage meter. A thermometer can measure the achieved efficiency "into the mound". Turn off [First!] take rectal temp - the mound that is - switch on. Tinfoil might even be a good way to invent your own er tuned cavity between. You got it right when the ants start streamin out. Planned for that? They are *hardy* little beggars - even Inside an oven.

Take pix! wear yer jumpsuit. Report results in The Annals of Darwinian Inventions Gone Awry

Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle..
New My paleoentomology is rusty
but I do know this: your opponent's genus has a few million years advantage over yours. Exactly how many, I don't know. And in terms of species, H. Sap. might be older than a particular type of fire ant, insects being fast plastic evolvers. But ants in general have been around a lot longer than primates.

- Pat McCurdy
New Yabut, we be *-Sapiens* (we said so, ourselves)
So if we apply the same meticulous logic which got us where we are today -

OK - the ants win that one, too
(and they can handle Lots more RADS)
New My ant solution:
I keep intermediate garb. on back porch. Ants there are and, they generally stay with the mother lode. I mercilessly off only.. the occasional Smart-ass one who makes it into the kitchen, since I know they follow odor trails of any One such who returns with a Soups On! message.

Generally house remains ant-free, and I don't much mind the little beggars sharin the local trash til - a bunch of them go for a long vacation when I xfer the bag to the wheelie thingie for pickup.

Beside the point re fire-type I guess. Back-hoe - one scoop to faraway vacant (?) lot?

fAntasizin again..
New wont work here
about 70 mounds per acre in every direction for miles. I would leave them alone except fer the kiddies. They swarm quickly and leave postules when they bite and can kill a small child if enough bites comb ined with antihistemic reaction. Just shudder at what laying all the poisons will do. Never met a nursery owner down here who doesnt have 0ne or several cancers at the age of 50. I be in the trpics so the bugs reign. My idea of a cone emitting microwaves or other type of wave (sonic radar radio etc ) that will have a minimal environmental impact somewhat safe to use is what I am after.
thanx,
bill
New Sound.
Somewhere I kept an issue of a Pop - Sci Mech? I saw - with pic of a lethal sound generator the French built. For warfare natch. At humongous levels @ ~54 Hz IIRC - shakes guts to bits, 4x Hz - anal sphincter gives up yada

Your guess, the resonant freq. of fire-ant abdomens - surely up there; maybe KHz. Sustained 100 W audio with heavy (lead sheet?) sound absorber over back (facing the world) - might be as effective as \ufffdwaves. Voice coil may need cooling. Hi power amps now dirt cheap. Experiment on a few - belly up? You got the dB level and the freq.

Hey - it's science..

A.
New led zep or aerosmith?
New One honkin *BIG* sinewave - it's about 'resonance'. See?
New like fishing with dynamite? -m
New Might not work anyway
When I worked at a restaurant in college, we had 5000w microwaves. As qualitatively different in how you use them as between a gas stove and a "normal" microwave. Anyway, we once found a roach -- only the once, really! -- and decided to see if we could make it pop.

Put it in the mini-nuke for 10 seconds. It just wandered around inside. (Now keep in mind, this thing would boil 8 oz. of water from room temp in less than 20 seconds.) Tried it for 20 seconds. Nothing. "Screw this ... " Two minutes. It just crawled around. Apparently (I discussed this with a biology major later.) many bugs don't have enough water in their body for microwave to work. All their mass is actual stuff, not just hollow cells full of water.

(PS: We sterilized the inside of the nuke after the experiment.)
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New But this should...
Mix a little bit of plutonium into a lot of sugar and spread it over a wide area.

Then wait for the ants to gather a critical mass...

I suppose there might be some undesirable side effects, but I think it would solve the ant problem.
- Pat McCurdy
New Now then Mike, back away from the Anthrax cabinet reel slow
     hey ash or anyone else - (boxley) - (27)
         Be careful... - (Another Scott) - (14)
             perfect page with all the info I need - (boxley) - (13)
                 Why am I thinking bad sci-fi movies? - (Brandioch) - (2)
                     poached ants more like -m -NT - (boxley)
                     Them! -- 1954 scifi movie - (a6l6e6x)
                 What about an Aardvark/Anteater? - (orion) - (5)
                     Specialized mouth - (mhuber) - (3)
                         Re: Specialized mouth - (orion) - (2)
                             Yep - (mhuber) - (1)
                                 Can dig up my wife's garden and flower bed - (orion)
                     Re: What about an Aardvark/Anteater? - (bconnors)
                 Interesting idea. - (static) - (3)
                     the only problem with kerosene and other solvents - (boxley) - (2)
                         Try this - (drewk) - (1)
                             "Ganglia", AFAICR. HTH! -NT - (CRConrad)
         My microwave practice is pretty rusty.. - (Ashton) - (11)
             My paleoentomology is rusty - (mhuber) - (7)
                 Yabut, we be *-Sapiens* (we said so, ourselves) - (Ashton) - (6)
                     My ant solution: - (Ashton) - (5)
                         wont work here - (boxley) - (4)
                             Sound. - (ashton) - (3)
                                 led zep or aerosmith? -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                     One honkin *BIG* sinewave - it's about 'resonance'. See? -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         like fishing with dynamite? -m -NT - (boxley)
             Might not work anyway - (drewk) - (2)
                 But this should... - (mhuber) - (1)
                     Now then Mike, back away from the Anthrax cabinet reel slow -NT - (Ashton)

"Me Damnit!" - God
146 ms