My dual xc I used a chart out of the Gleim Pilot Handbook. It was fine, but there was *too* much information on it (even my instructor said so). So, I came up with my own, which is similar to the first one on the link. And I do mark down the time over checkpoints, although I confess I don't figure "fuel remaining" at each checkpoint, assuming I'm ontime or ahead. If I start to get behind, then of course, I'd be calculating fuel remaining.

I flew today. I had planned to do some pattern work, but the wind was pretty rough at pattern altitude. Got smooth (well, constant wind anyway) above 2000, so I did some ground reference, turns to a heading, etc. and played with the GPS - which freaked me out. I'd been up about 45 minutes and decided to head back to the airport. I haven't played with the GPS much, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I dialed in Direct to C62, looked out the window, looked back at the GPS and without noticing that it had a SNAFU, I turned to the indicated heading. Then, I noticed something. I was west of the airport, flying to it, was on track according to the GPS, but the sun was behind me. A closer look at the GPS and it had decided I needed to fly to EKM instead of C62, all on its own. I've gotta get more used to that display or not use it at all ;-)

Thanks for the well wishes. Today was useful in another way as well. The wind was straight across (perpendicular to) the runway and was blowing much harder than when I took off by the time I got back. Weather report said winds were going to increase to 10-15 with gusts up to 25, but that was supposed to be later this afternoon. Our wind speed monitor is down, but the sock was standing out straight when I taxied back - and perpendicular to the runway. Probably not too bad for a more experienced pilot, but that was the most cross wind I've faced - and uh, I think that's all I want, at least for now ;-)

bcnu (maybe in the air),
Mikem