IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Debian network install
Using the Lord Sutch ISO found here:
[link|http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/|http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/]

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New If you haven't started, STOP NOW
This is not the way for a newbie to install Linux. Why do you just ignore my advice? If you want to do a net install of Debian fine - but why do you insist on adding more complications? You're setting yourself up for failing again, and then you can blame Linux.

Should I just quit on you? Tell me now.
-drl
New Don't quit
I am trying to learn. The network install went fine after a few false starts. Like SBC crapping out on my connection, etc. I installed a 1.6G Debian package. Only problem seems to be getting XFree86 working with the emulated hardware. VMWare does not support Debian, d'oh! A good experience, had a few hurtles I had to jump over but I managed. Problem was it took almost all day to download and configure it. The source code for the kernel and kernel headers was not installed, and I used apt-get to get and install them. Then I had to run a VMWare install script written in Perl to install the VMWare drivers for Linux. XFree86 complains it cannot find the mouse, and my mouse is a USB device. If I can figure out how to get a file from the virtual hard drive I can post the log here. I cannot even copy and paste from the virutal screen.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Re: Don't quit
I can't, and wouldn't try to support such a setup. People here will help you.
-drl
New a kludge
Without suggesting that this is a good idea...VNC provides a workaround to your problem. Run the server on your guest OS and the viewer on your host. If you can't get a crash test dummy box, VMWare is better than nothing, but you're introducing additional variables.

Something that I haven't pursued but _may_ be helpful to you is Cygwin+X. Again, this introduces additional variables, and greatly complicates any troubleshooting you may have to do.

In a similar vein, use Samba or FTP to get a file from your guest OS to the host. To my knowledge, X in VMWare will not play cut-and-paste with Windows; this isn't surprising.

Posting a log may or not be helpful.

How much is the academic license for VMWare?

FAQ! We're scrod!
     A new attempt at installing Linux - (orion) - (6)
         Good luck. - (Steve Lowe) - (5)
             Debian network install - (orion) - (4)
                 If you haven't started, STOP NOW - (deSitter) - (3)
                     Don't quit - (orion) - (2)
                         Re: Don't quit - (deSitter)
                         a kludge - (rickw)

Why do you hate 16 ton weights?
75 ms