IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A new attempt at installing Linux
Ok to eliminate possible bad hardware and bad CDR disks and bad CD-ROM drives I decided to do an experiment.

It will be on my laptop with a trial of VMWare for Windows and a Debian Network install CD ISO image. The emulation environment should provide a much more stable hardware support, and the network install will eliminate the bad CDRs and bad CD-ROM drives. If it works I will look into the academic license of VMWare as I am a college student. Also maybe I can install Debian this way on my 98SE machine, or have a better idea of what to do when deSitter talks me through a network install of SuSE or whatever.

I see it as a learning experience, no need to have a non-working system with a half-baked install. This way I can learn how it is done right.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Good luck.
Debian is not difficult to install if you pay attention during the process and have some idea of your hardware.It can be a bitch to properly configure once it's installed, but cross that bridge when you get to it. Get the base system installed and running then take it from there.

Assuming you're using a Woody disk, here's a tip: at the boot prompt, type bf24 and hit enter to get started with a 2.4 series kernel.
-----
Steve
New Debian network install
Using the Lord Sutch ISO found here:
[link|http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/|http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/]

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New If you haven't started, STOP NOW
This is not the way for a newbie to install Linux. Why do you just ignore my advice? If you want to do a net install of Debian fine - but why do you insist on adding more complications? You're setting yourself up for failing again, and then you can blame Linux.

Should I just quit on you? Tell me now.
-drl
New Don't quit
I am trying to learn. The network install went fine after a few false starts. Like SBC crapping out on my connection, etc. I installed a 1.6G Debian package. Only problem seems to be getting XFree86 working with the emulated hardware. VMWare does not support Debian, d'oh! A good experience, had a few hurtles I had to jump over but I managed. Problem was it took almost all day to download and configure it. The source code for the kernel and kernel headers was not installed, and I used apt-get to get and install them. Then I had to run a VMWare install script written in Perl to install the VMWare drivers for Linux. XFree86 complains it cannot find the mouse, and my mouse is a USB device. If I can figure out how to get a file from the virtual hard drive I can post the log here. I cannot even copy and paste from the virutal screen.

New Re: Don't quit
I can't, and wouldn't try to support such a setup. People here will help you.
-drl
New a kludge
Without suggesting that this is a good idea...VNC provides a workaround to your problem. Run the server on your guest OS and the viewer on your host. If you can't get a crash test dummy box, VMWare is better than nothing, but you're introducing additional variables.

Something that I haven't pursued but _may_ be helpful to you is Cygwin+X. Again, this introduces additional variables, and greatly complicates any troubleshooting you may have to do.

In a similar vein, use Samba or FTP to get a file from your guest OS to the host. To my knowledge, X in VMWare will not play cut-and-paste with Windows; this isn't surprising.

Posting a log may or not be helpful.

How much is the academic license for VMWare?

FAQ! We're scrod!
     A new attempt at installing Linux - (orion) - (6)
         Good luck. - (Steve Lowe) - (5)
             Debian network install - (orion) - (4)
                 If you haven't started, STOP NOW - (deSitter) - (3)
                     Don't quit - (orion) - (2)
                         Re: Don't quit - (deSitter)
                         a kludge - (rickw)

I can only take so much at one sitting!
80 ms