IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New where is the NT DNS server?
Got an email from a friend with the following,
Know anyone who has ever successfully setup connection sharing on a Win2000Pro system? Do you need to install additional software? Here is what I was able to get to work. I established an autodial (DSL) connection via one NIC in my main computer (Win2k). I setup a LAN via a second NIC (Win2k, WinXP, Win2k). When I transferred files on the LAN (three systems) speeds were awesome (seems that the DSL connection was screwing with the LAN, just IP was blindingly fast). When I attempted to access addresses outside the network the auto dialer worked fine (when not connected). But, here is the problem. There should be both a DHCP server and a DNS server on the host sharing computer. There isn't. Nor is there any software that I can find in the OS. There are DHCP and DNS clients but no servers. Consequentially, I can't setup "auto IP configuration" on the remotes. To set this up I had to manually configure the LAN (192.168.0.X). The sharing computer showed that "routing" was enabled, but of course this is of no use if I attempt to find 'www.someplace.com' from one of the remote systems (worked fine for 'ping X.X.X.X'). This would require DNS to resolve the IP address. So, I guess my problem is that I cant find where Win2k hid their servers. I contacted Microsoft and they replied with the usual answers which is why I am asking if you know anyone who has ever been successful setting this up (I don't). Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Already did a search on the Internet with the same kind of dumb answers as I got from Microsoft (you know, what's the matter, just do it!, OK?).
any help would be appreciated.
thanx,
bill
same old crap, con artists ripping off fools. Ah, hell, Catholic Church it start off that way. They All do. Jesus probably had three walnut shells one pea, then he's dead and can't be questioned,
Gabriel Dupre

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Re: where is the NT DNS server?
This is one of those people who go on and on without knowing what he's really trying to do.

Windows 2000 has "Internet Connection Sharing" and that will use whatever DNS entries the external card uses, assuming he set up in compatibility mode. If he set up in "pure AD" mode as a domain controller then he has to have a local dynamic DNS server going, so again there is no issue. If he doesn't want to use ICS then he had to get a third party NAT program like Winroute (which can also do DHCP and forward DNS queries).
-drl
New Re: where is the NT DNS server?
I have much the same situation, except that one of my PCs runs W2KAS and has AD, DHCP, DNS, RRAS, the full monty running. You should have one machine running the Internet link and ICS. The others should be set to DHCP. If (as it seems) DHCP fails to work, you need to manually set IP addresses in the 192.168.x.y range. Doing this, you will need to manually insert the DNS settings supplied to your internet-connected machine. The default router will be the local (192.168.a.b) address of the internet machine.

My clients are on a 10/8 network; my server's local IP is 10.a.b.c. This latter address is registered as settings in DHCP as being DNS WINS et al. The server's second NIC is on a 192.168/16 network, which talks to a Smoothwall firewall. The firewall has one NIC on 192.168/16 and one NIC on my ISP's network.

qts
New well we got the static method handled
and for a 3 node network that is fine, he was wondering why.where the DHCP server is/was.
thanx,
bill
and everywhere the great Curse of the New World, the American Child, in all its raucous, spoiled, undiciplined, selfish ghastliness, the female specimens keeping up an incessant high-pitched whine and the male infants racketing like cowpokes on payday. There's nothing wrong with grown Americans, by and large you wont find heartier men or bonnier women anywhere, but the only remedy I can see for the children is to run Herod for President.
Sir Harold Flashman esquire VC OBE

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
     where is the NT DNS server? - (boxley) - (3)
         Re: where is the NT DNS server? - (deSitter)
         Re: where is the NT DNS server? - (qstephens) - (1)
             well we got the static method handled - (boxley)

Where did you *think* lerpadisms come from?
64 ms