IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Relax; you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.
Todd Blanch-es with fear:
Worse, I've just run across:

FROM EMPLOYER , BILLINGUPCOMINGINVMANUALADJ, EMPLOYERMISCINFO, BILLINGCONTACT ,
ROLE, BROKER, SETOFEMPLOYERS,
(SELECT EMPLOYERID, COUNT(*) AS ACTIVEEENO FROM EMPLOYMENT WHERE EMPLOYMENT.STATUS <> 1
GROUP BY EMPLOYERID HAVING COUNT(*) > 0) AS ACTIVEEES
WHERE EMPLOYER.FEDERALTAXID = EMPLOYERMISCINFO.EMPLOYERID
AND EMPLOYER.FEDERALTAXID = SETOFEMPLOYERS.EMPLOYERTAXID
AND BROKER.BROKERID = SETOFEMPLOYERS.BROKERID
AND EMPLOYERMISCINFO.PAYER = BILLINGCONTACT.CONTACTPAYER(+)
AND ROLE.ID = EMPLOYER.FEDERALTAXID
AND ROLE.FLAG = 1 AND ROLE.ROLE = 8
AND EMPLOYERMISCINFO.EMPLOYERID = BILLINGCONTACT.CONTACTID(+)
AND EMPLOYER.FEDERALTAXID = BILLINGUPCOMINGINVMANUALADJ.EMPLOYERID(+)
AND EMPLOYER.FEDERALTAXID = ACTIVEEES.EMPLOYERID(+)
AND EMPLOYER.FEDERALTAXID IN (SELECT EMPLOYERID FROM PineyCreek.EMPLOYERSTOBEBILLED)
ORDER BY EMPLOYER.FEDERALTAXID

I have no idea where to start with such a complex join. (Other people's) SQL is hard.
Looks kind of like a star schema(1) to me, with the EMPLOYER table at the center of everything. OK, sligthly "snowflakey"(1) in a couple of places, where BROKER is linked in via SETOFEMPLOYERS(2) and BILLINGCONTACT via EMPLOYERMISCINFO(2). Like this:
                +------------------+\n                | BILLINGUPCOMING  |\n                |  INVMANUALADJ    |\n                +------------------+\n                         |\n+---------+   +-----------------------+   +---------+\n|  ROLE   |---|        EMPLOYER       |---|SELECT...|\n+---------+   +-----------------------+   +---------+\n                   |             |\n              +---------+   +---------+\n              | SETOF   |   |EMPLOYER |\n              |EMPLOYERS|   |MISCINFO |\n              +---------+   +---------+\n                   |             |\n              +---------+   +---------+\n              | BROKER  |   | BILLING |\n              +---------+   | CONTACT |\n                            +---------+
(Disclaimer: AFAICS, at a quick glance.)

In my experience, the trick (well, not much of a "trick" really, but still...) is, just look at which table name appears most often in the joining-subclauses of the WHERE clause, and unravel it from there; next thing you look for is, which subclauses *doesn't* that table name appear in, then you know one of the tables in that subclause is indirectly joined to the "central-master" table.

HTH!

(1): For those who haven't seen this before, "star" and "snowflake" are data warehousing terminology.

(2): Nice of them to have one of those one way around, and the other the other, BTW. Hey, we don't want to make this too easy to read, so just any schmuck could understand it, now do we? ;-)

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
You know you're doing good work when you get flamed by an idiot. -- [link|http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/35/34218.html|Andrew Wittbrodt]
New I'm saving those for dessert
There are still a bunch of functions to port and some simpler views. I'm going to save the ball busters like that one for last (which might be this evening but hey...).

Thanks for all the insight.

.....To the future or to the past, to a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone -- to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone:
.....From the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink -- greetings!

-- George Orwell, 1984
     New Question - what does this (oracle) syntax mean? - (tuberculosis) - (18)
         Left join. - (admin) - (17)
             Oy - (tuberculosis) - (16)
                 Ick. -NT - (admin) - (7)
                     Way - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                         Looks to me like it was generated from icky tools. - (FuManChu) - (2)
                             Naah; we manually write shit like that all the time. :-( -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 Yeah - a tool would use consistent capitalization -NT - (tuberculosis)
                         Just start breaking it down. - (admin) - (2)
                             That's the plan - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                 Yeah, 'zackly, we use views like that all the time. :-( -NT - (CRConrad)
                 Relax; you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     I'm saving those for dessert - (tuberculosis)
                 Dumb question on the second statement - (boxley) - (4)
                     Then, in the Bronze Age, the Query Optimizer was invented... -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                         Which typically chokes with too many joins. -NT - (admin) - (1)
                             Yeah, well; whaddaya expect, from Bronze-Age technology? :-) -NT - (CRConrad)
                     Depends on the optimizer... - (Simon_Jester)
                 Left join in the new SQL standard syntax - (Simon_Jester)

My line is so beating the heck out of your stupid line. Fear my pink line. You have no chance. I am the undisputed lord of virtual tennis.
76 ms