Games, sure, who doesn't want to play games. But Linux (with the exception of CrossoverX) doesn't play Windows games. No Dialbo 2, or Warcraft 3 or (insert game of the week).

Those game of the week games are what my Gamehead brother wanted to play. We couldn't get WINE to work right with them, so he went back to XP.

I have Civilization II: Gold right now. I think it might work under WINE.

Run an email server - okay, why? Note: I do not run an email SERVER. I access my email (POP3) from earthlink.net as a client. (I'm one of those crazy people who actually likes Kmail)

I own a domain name and would like to use it as email. Also it would be an account I can run SpamAssasin on. QMail sounds good enough to me to use.

* Run a database - okay, actually this is a good reason to run Linux (imo). But which database? (Do you have a specific project in mind, or do you want to just play with a database to play with a database?)

I want to learn a free/open sourced database, an alternative to SQL Server. I am looking as Postgre, MySQL, Firebird, and a few others. Project will come later after I learn enough about the database to program with it.