IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New More mechanisms exist
Just not necessarily in Java.

For instance, message forwarding - as provided in ObjectiveC and Smalltalk allows you to add the ability to respond to more messages by simply associating an object as a delegate.

I explain this mechanism on my (slowly growing) weblog [link|http://ventedspleen.weblogger.com/stories/storyReader$6|The Vented Spleen].

Scott's recommendations RE visitor and strategy are also good.

Lurkers - I'm also looking for new topic ideas.

XSL just might be next based on Scott's recent (and my not so recent) experiments.

The goal is to point to stuff thats overhyped and that replaces stuff that used to work better.
New Go for the XSL as a topic for sure.
I've got some good suggestions for that column if you need them. :-)

Inthane: now that Todd has raised the specter of Smalltalk and ObjectiveC... there are a whole host of languages that don't require you to inherit/implement any particular defined interface. If the object responds to a method, then everything is happy. Python is like that too. You *can* inherit if you want to (multiple at that) but it isn't necessary.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New The problem right now...
...is too much learning to do, not enough time. Soon as I get done with school, hopefully things will be a little more sane. :P
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New I'd love to hear them
mail em to tblanchard at mac dot com if you want
New Couple of quickies:
1) Can't set variables. You can set constants, but not change them.
2) Everything is recursive. You have to do really convoluted things to increment a variable, for example.
3) Everything must be valid XML. What this means in practice is that you can't string together links (a href="[link|http://some/url/[some|http://some/url/[some] inserted data]") without doing obtuse verbose cartwheels.
4) Verbose, verbose, verbose. XSL looks to be over twice as big as a corresponding template-style solution.
5) I have yet to figure out how to URL-quote stuff in XSL.
6) Sloooooow. XSL was twice as slow as a corresponding template-style solution (Velocity) in my testing.

Enough to get you started? :-)
Regards,

-scott anderson
New eXtensible Mangling Language
It's looking like XSL is shaping up to be How Not To Create A Language That Can ReWrite Itself. Or something. I must admit I got lost reading an *overview* of how XSL is supposed to work.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Heh
In practice, XML is more or less like a shitty COBOL program. Call it "Dynamic Bad COBOL". Or "BRACKETBOL".

I'm sure that in your genius hands it's a marvel. What I saw at Mastercard, for a massive Java application, was not very impressive. But then again, neither are the H1Bs who made itl.
New That's how VB defines things...
...much as I hate to admit using VB...

If I've got a method or function, something else can call it.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
     Inheritance versus Interfaces... - (inthane-chan) - (22)
         Well, being an Object Pascal user and fan... - (CRConrad) - (1)
             I could be wrong. - (inthane-chan)
         Re: Inheritance versus Interfaces... - (admin) - (6)
             Thane, read Gamma et al. "Design Patterns" NOW... - (tseliot) - (3)
                 Personally, I have (and prefer) the CD version of the GoF - (admin)
                 Right - (deSitter) - (1)
                     Er, what? -NT - (admin)
             Somewhat Glossed Over - (deSitter) - (1)
                 Don't pontificate - (admin)
         "no flame-wars"? .....party pOOper -NT - (tablizer)
         More mechanisms exist - (tuberculosis) - (7)
             Go for the XSL as a topic for sure. - (admin) - (6)
                 The problem right now... - (inthane-chan)
                 I'd love to hear them - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                     Couple of quickies: - (admin) - (2)
                         eXtensible Mangling Language - (static)
                         Heh - (deSitter)
                 That's how VB defines things... - (inthane-chan)
         Re: Inheritance versus Interfaces... - (JimWeirich) - (3)
             Re: Inheritance versus Interfaces... - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                 That's the basic of it. - (inthane-chan)
                 Re: Inheritance versus Interfaces... - (kelzer)

The style is new but the pay is the same.
206 ms