IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yes
I'm sure it's like Windows 9x - it's the lowest-common-dumbass-denominator approach.

Windows will do its own primitive NATing of the internal network. The internal interface will be set to 192.168.0.1 and Windows will set up its own DHCP server to hand out addresses to internal machines. Once installed you can, IIRC, change the network address to 192.168.whatever, but there is no point, just let Windows do its ass-stupid thing and live with it.

You could change your DSL router to use 192.168.1.0 instead of 0.0 as network address. That's what I'd do in your situation.
-drl
New Tks

Just wanted to know. I have ordered a Netgear WGR604 802.11g wireless 4-port router (will toss the SMC Barricade where it belongs (not a very useful unit)).

The Netgear WGR614 is very inexpensive by Aust standards.

Then I can drop the temp MS sharing stuff. I guess they have hard coded this use of 192.168.0.1. It causes mayhem with a lot of other software. For what I wanted though, it has done the job.

Biggest issue for me was that wife has become dependant on Internet access using her Apple iBook with Airport card. With my temp cable solution I was able to hook her iBook up using its utp port & so she was able to do her work.

Am still impressed with OSX & how simple they made the networking compared to OS 9.x.

Tks

Doug
New I'd be interested in changing the IP
...under the impression it had to be 192.168.0.1 on the "sharing" NIC. This is fine until one tries to run a bridged ethernet on top of it, which happens to have the same subnet. So if one can change the ICS IP from 192.168.0.1 to some other subnet, I'd be interested in hearing about it--docs don't mention it.

Ah..Google is my friend again: [link|http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/icsadcnf.htm|http://www.wown.com/...lmig/icsadcnf.htm]
I was one of the original authors of VB, and *I* wouldn't use VB for a text
processing program. :-)
Michael Geary, on comp.lang.python
     Anyone familiar with Win/XP Home's way of sharing internet? - (dmarker) - (3)
         Yes - (deSitter) - (2)
             Tks - (dmarker)
             I'd be interested in changing the IP - (FuManChu)

On bassline: Martina Nav... Navri... gosh, I wish she'd get married.
40 ms