IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: VB and MySQL
Anyone here who knows (not me) will tell you that postgres is superior to MySQL. There's your alternative.

-drl
New Postgres
Great but I cannot find a Win32 Native port of Postgres that does not require Cygwin or something to run it in.

I suppose I could install Cygwin, but it would require anyone running the VB program to install it to get the VB program to work. Also if I used MySQL they would have to download and install MySQL as I cannot redistribute that either. I think I have to buy a MySQL license to make closed apps that access it, as VB apps cannot be open sourced according to MS's EULA.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Re: Postgres
You've got 891 legacy machines, set up a Linux database server. I guarantee you Win32 databases are as good as dead.
-drl
New Depends on who the target of the program is
if it is a single user, with one machine. It cannot be a Linux server too. If it is a small business, a Linux server can be set up for them.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Re: Depends on who the target of the program is
In any real world scenario, even for a small business, if a real database is needed it will live on its own machine.
-drl
New ? Um, don't think so.
deSitter pontificates:

I guarantee you Win32 databases are as good as dead.

MS Sql Server is hardly "as good as dead".
bcnu,
Mikem

I don't do third world languages. So no, I don't do Java.
New The superiority is a function of what you're trying to do
MySQL is fast, very fast. MySQL is easy, very easy to set up.

However, the last I checked, it didn't have stored procedures, referential integrity, transaction processing, etc.... Though MySQL has stated that they are leaning in that direction.

I more valid comparison would be that MySQL is to PostgreSQL, as MSAccess is to SQLServer. In the MS world, there are times to use Access and times to use SQLServer.
     VB and MySQL - (orion) - (11)
         Re: VB and MySQL - (deSitter) - (6)
             Postgres - (orion) - (4)
                 Re: Postgres - (deSitter) - (3)
                     Depends on who the target of the program is - (orion) - (1)
                         Re: Depends on who the target of the program is - (deSitter)
                     ? Um, don't think so. - (mmoffitt)
             The superiority is a function of what you're trying to do - (ChrisR)
         A possibly more appropriate alternative for you - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             Thanks I will research it - (orion)
         <SIGH>... - (CRConrad) - (1)
             Downloading it now - (orion)

We're talking "filled with angry bees" levels of agony.
144 ms