Final Fantasy X is a turn based RPG. It's quite linear up to about 80%-90% of the game. Past that point, you're freed from the plot-driven constraints and the world is opened up to you. I found the storyline compelling enough that the linear aspect of it did not bother me. Some gamers complained that there's too much full-motion videos advancing the story line but again, I find the story line compelling enough that it didn't bother me. The game is beatable without having to spend too much time levelling up (activating nodes on the Sphere Grid in FFX-speak). It's also listed as a Classic Hits so it's only CDN$30.00. I spent about 96 hours game time on it mainly because I wanted to get some of the super weapons. :)

Ratchet and Clank is pretty good platformer with lots of fun weaponry. And it is also a Classic Hits, so it's CDN$30.00. The graphics is lovely, and you don't ever see any slowdowns at all. There's a recently release sequel called Ratchet & Clank : Going Commando with bigger, badder, and more weaponry.

Max Payne is a shoot-em-up with a nice plot. The PC version is much better graphically and if you're a PC-gamer, you might have a tough time adjusting to using the gamepad for controls.

If puzzles are your thing, see if you can snag a copy of Ico. It's a rather short game and it's set in only 1 locale, a crumbling castle but it's rather atmospheric, and the castle itself is the puzzle. Be aware though that Ico doesn't look that hot on a HDTV display. The game's engine render the graphics at half-resolution (320x200?) and on a HDTV display the picture is like the output out of a dumb line-doubler.

If your PS2 has a network adapter, I have heard good things about Socom: Navy Seal's online game play, but the gamepad controls for a FPS may not work for you.

Metal Gear Solid 2: The Sons of Liberty is a (mainly) 3rd person tactical "espionage" game. The gameplay encourages stealth, and like Final Fantasy X, there quite a bit of full-motion videos used to advance the story line. I found the ending somewhat of a letdown but the journey to get there was rather enjoyable.

EyeToy makes for a great party game. You get a USB camera to place on top of your TV and 12 mini-games which uses the camera for input.

You can also exercise by getting a dance mat and Dance Dance Revolution! :)

One way to check out whether a game maybe to your taste to rent it from your local video rental store.