IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New But I've been thinking that would be a good feature
I've been caught by this aspect of the UI, and it could easily be improved with JavaScript.

Put an onChange handler on the dropdown for what forum to make this a new topic in to automatically set the checkbox for save As New Topic.

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Re: But I've been thinking that would be a good feature
I don't completely understand all that, but I'm for anything that helps me move a topic to another forum more smoothly, because I always have problems there.

Nightowl >8#

"It is understanding that gives us an ability to have peace. When we understand the other fellow's viewpoint, and he understands ours, then we can sit down and work out our differences." Harry S. Truman

"Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude." Timothy Bentley
New Unnecessary, perhaps.
What I ought to do is just check the dropdown for position change, and if it's different, then just assume that 'New Topic' was intended.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New UI issue
As it stands, the form does what it says, people just don't read carefully enough.

The other way, if someone says, "Ah heck, I didn't really want a new topic" and unchecks the box, it doesn't do what it says that it will do.

The JS solution, ugly as JS is, gives the streamlined experience, but also always does what it says that it will do. Which has value to me.

Cheers,
Ben

PS Second thought. You could lose the checkbox and have the dropdown default to blank. If someone sets the dropdown for where to create a new post, then they wanted a new post in that forum (possibly the current one). If that is blank, then they didn't.
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
Expand Edited by ben_tilly Jan. 13, 2004, 04:38:20 PM EST
New The PS has some merit...
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Once and Only Once
--

"It\ufffds possible to build a reasonably prosperous society that invests in its people, doesn\ufffdt invade its neighbors, opposes Israel and stands up to America. (Just look at France.)"

-- James Lileks
New The PS has A LOT of merit, IMO.
New What seems to happen to me
Is I go down and choose the forum and check the box, then go up to the post and type it, and then send, and it doesn't work. Do you have to check the box after typing the post or before? That's where I get mixed up.

Nightowl >8#

"It is understanding that gives us an ability to have peace. When we understand the other fellow's viewpoint, and he understands ours, then we can sit down and work out our differences." Harry S. Truman

"Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude." Timothy Bentley
New /me likes
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating that facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT
     But I've been thinking that would be a good feature - (ben_tilly) - (8)
         Re: But I've been thinking that would be a good feature - (Nightowl)
         Unnecessary, perhaps. - (admin) - (6)
             UI issue - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                 The PS has some merit... -NT - (admin) - (1)
                     Once and Only Once -NT - (Arkadiy)
                 The PS has A LOT of merit, IMO. -NT - (CRConrad)
             What seems to happen to me - (Nightowl)
             /me likes -NT - (jb4)

In the arms of a jungle animal instinct.
55 ms