IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Twit filter?
I know it's been talked about before. What with the invective level climbing like a monkey on steroids, it would be nice to be able to block the blockheads. Hell, I'm sure I'd get filtered by a few. Being a LRPD addict, it gets dissapointing to enter a forum only to find the posts are by those I'm not currently interested in following.

So how about it? Is it possible/easy/simple to incorporate some form of a dolt blocker?
Don Richards,
Proud recipient of the ABBA.
(the Ashton Brown Brevity Award)
New Who said that?
I'm just saying that which has needed saying for a LONG time...

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Not you
And I'd rather not name names. See, I like these people. It's just that recently, some of our posters seem to have started a competition to see who is the most nasty, brutish and mean spirited. In small enough doses, this can invigorate a discussion. With the level it's reaching now, the discussions effected become rapidly uninteresting (at least to me).
Don Richards,
Proud recipient of the ABBA.
(the Ashton Brown Brevity Award)
New Take a theoretical exercise.
I don't think such a thing would be at all easy to implement, but it depends on the complexity of the database queries.

For starters, you can't just filter out posts by those on your twitlist, but you probably have to filter away all the replies, too. This has an impact on several things: displaying a topic's thread, displaying a forum's topics, determining the LRPD status of a topic and forum. And then there's the issue of whether or not you can go directly to a reply to a filtered post (I'd say you should), if someone who is seeing more than you were to post you the URL.

But then it starts getting complex. The main additional requirement is to not list the LRPD on the forum listing if the only reponses are to filtered posts, and to do the same on a topic-level within a forum. But do you want to know about such posts anyway if you were specifically looking? I think that's a good thing. We might need a Little Blue Plasma Dot or a Little Green Plasma Dot to distinguish such.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Easy
Take a lesson from the Far Side 'What we say to our dog' cartoon.

If person = twit then change every word that isn't in('the','it','and','your', 'our',or whatever ) to 'blah'. Observing capitalisation.

So my first sentence could well be "Blah a blah blah the Blah Blah 'blah blah blah to our blah' blah."

Hmm... I'm going to muck about with sed/awk this afternoon if I have time :)

So at least if you do see an LRPD from a twit, at least you might be mildly entertainted.

This, of course, opens up the possibily for Swedish Chef, Jive, Valley Girl and other filters. Oh well, can't have everything.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New added to twit on or twit off
use headers
if your are about to groin kick a fellow member put twit on in the Subject Line the have the LRPD not kick off. Would take some dicipline but I think we could agree on this. Hell I might try this unilaterally if I am just poking a stick at someone elses post instead of having a deeper discussion.
thanx,
bill
tshirt front "born to die before I get old"
thshirt back "fscked another one didnja?"
New Make it a check box on the post page.
Or better yet, a radio-group/combo-box (default: "Normal post") with alternatives like "Joke", "Ribbing", "Troll", "Flame" and so on. (And make sure the Admin has easy access to change this field after-the-fact, if the poster mis-classified his post...)
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows He'd Be Fucking Re-Classified (Upwards, Temperature-wise...) Most Of The Time
New Er, Christian...
...isn't that EzPostIcons or whatever they're called?

Feh.

Always KNEW you were of The Dark Side.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Those couldn't work in conjunction with a ("twit-")filter...
...since there WAS no such filtering system on EzShite.

Here, we (uh, Scott) *could*, OTOH, add a bunch of check-boxes to the User Pref page. Like, "No, I don't want to see any jokes or trolls, but I feel like reading some flames today..."

Significant diff, IMO.

(Oh BTW, my categories suck, I know. For one thing, the thing about a troll is, you aren't supposed to know it *is* one. (OTOH, they could be "stealth" -- marked by no other icon than possibly an LRPD for "new". (Not that any of the categories need be marked by a category icon; they could just be there, or not, depending on your filter settings. (But my categories probably suck anyway. (Is anybode else beginning to wonder how many sets of parentheses I can nest inside each other? :-)))))
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New That was an unexpected front in the brainstorm...

New I like. :-)
And since I happen to have a working Swedish Chef filter around somewhere... *rummage* *rummage*...
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Theory and reality
For starters, you can't just filter out posts by those on your twitlist, but you probably have to filter away all the replies, too.

I disagree with this. Filtering out just the posts by the twitlist is a sufficient measure, although granted it might not be as good a feature as might be envisioned. Obviously it won't filter out replies and quotes from the twit, but it is in itself a good step and probably a lot easier than trying to implement a full-fledged threaded twit handler.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New Yes, I tried to mention that.
I notice that "deleted" posts to UserFriendly's comment system are replaced with text that says "deleted post" or something. We could dynamically do something like that for twitted people.

Wade.

Twit filter? - (Silverlock) - (12)
         Who said that? - (pwhysall) - (1)
             Not you - (Silverlock)
         Take a theoretical exercise. - (static) - (9)
             Easy - (Meerkat) - (6)
                 added to twit on or twit off - (boxley) - (3)
                     Make it a check box on the post page. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                         Er, Christian... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             Those couldn't work in conjunction with a ("twit-")filter... - (CRConrad)
                 That was an unexpected front in the brainstorm... -NT - (static)
                 I like. :-) - (admin)
             Theory and reality - (wharris2) - (1)
                 Yes, I tried to mention that. - (static)

Liver alone, cheese all mine...
65 ms