IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Heh - W98 was invented for that color of neck.
You gotta consider the source too; ain't no IT pro here - I accepted the general consensus hereabouts that 98 was finally.. somewhat less steamy a POS / bug-fix for semi-revolting 95. So far that seems to hold.

OTOH I learned long ago never to stress even 3.1, which could at least be talked to w/o a &*%$% binary Registry to contend with - if you wasted enough hours with the .inis. I haven't migrated much data from 3.1 to 95; didn't try moving over any aps - except Word6 (below).

Fortunately mail, bookmarks from NS Nav 3.04 (?) moved OK from 3.1 to 95 and on to 98 with NS 4.5 (I don't play the browser of the month game either). Word6 appears to inhabit 98 OK on one of the installs: I haven't installed it on mine. Owner of that one "finds it noticeably faster w/ 98-lite" than her one at work with std. 98SE.

It will be interesting (not really) to see if her Cyrillic fonts from 3.1 make the cut via Zip-disk, next. More I dunno.

I rarely open more than a couple programs, minimize the stuff in the tray when browsing, so I can't guess how it would work if one started filling up (192M) memory and making it swap. I treat all Windoze as if its normal state is incipient failure -- thus, few crashes actually (!) I also don't add/delete lots of sappy stuff for play. Makes me world's worst 'tester'.

Helps to read the 2pp 'instructions' before using lite, and it's best (not essential) to install it before Windoze, clean. No gotchas I saw, except I had to improvise, swap CD for an SE set of cabs at point after Win-98 had begun the main install -- IIRC I might have had to sys the HD as a separate step -- because of where in process I interrupted. -lite folds itself into the later steps transparently. I had to think about it - but yer a pro! (they don't have to think - right?)

(I did one reg. 98 install for hardware test, ran SpinRite as I do on every HD, then wiped it and did 98-lite on 2 machines / 500, 600 w/different video etc. Aside from getting drivers off supplied CD and web - all 3 went without a Billy-surprise. PnPray is neat - when it is. I even pulled one pin outta the Billy-doll, for fairness' sake.)

Yeah yeah.. eventually I Have to make the switch from \\ to / as I won't be using anything later from M$ - ever. (Of course if it turns out.. that most Linux types are hideous reactionaries who drown kittens before breakfast, and put Rush's pic on their nightstand - like you - maybe I'll get an i-Mac instead.)

:-\ufffd
New Wal, shucks
sounds like I need to start investigating farther. Have finally got the three dead pickups into a pleasing arrangement in the front yard, so may have some free time [ the '85 Mitsubishi's clean lines contrast nicely with the rounded bulges of the '79 Dodge, and both are set off by the bare frame rails of the '68 Chevy hulk... Shoo Fang, or something like that, altho it sounds more like what my neighbor says to his hounds. ]

But... "Yeah yeah.. eventually I Have to make the switch from \\ to / as I won't be using anything later from M$ - ever. (Of course if it turns out.. that most Linux types are hideous reactionaries who drown kittens before breakfast, and put Rush's pic on their nightstand - like you - maybe I'll get an i-Mac instead.)

Now, now, don't jump to conclusions, Ashton. I can't listen to Limburger for more than two or three minutes without endangering my coronary arteries; I couldn't keep his (or anybody's) picture on my nightstand, anyway -- the cats would knock it over. (We don't drown kittens in my family. Waking in the night breathing cat fur puts the shoe rather on the other foot sometimes.) And my total acquaintance with *nixen is running
bash
over NT 4.0 -- my principal reason for not already upgrading was/is money comma lack thereof; secondary is a rather sincere desire to *not* buy G&B another drink.

IOW I'm a *lazy* redneck...
Regards,
Ric
New Ah.. well then
I may have mistaken you fer one o' them Giant Texas folk - y'know: where litttle Cal gets his new car at age 12; it's no license problem 'cause he isn't allowed to take it outta the living room.. :-P

My 600 was pretty low budget too - and the latest version at computergeeks IIRC is ~250 for a 733-PIII of similar specs.

I also 'reused' the W98 from a deceased machine of a friend = license was paid for one machine and, that's all it's on. I plan to come close to *never* sending a sou to BG, for anything I might use in any next. (Besides, were I religious, I'd know that *my* god wouldn't want me to bankroll scum - it would be her 11th Commandment. I do have a *little* influence, y'know?)

Was just a joshin re Limbo - yer Engrish be too good fer ya ta hang out with jackals. Almost whupped ya on the aged-car game, but mine's a snazzy '77 Saab so the '68 French car wins. (er Chevrolet isn't pronounced Shev row let .. us prey - right?)

Good luck improvising; think min. wage for -lite is $25.

Ashton
who drove right across Texas to N'Orleens with a sweetie, once. Best part was at night, actually, after we stopped driving.
New Texas Folk
come in many shapes and sizes. I'm quite familiar with little Cal; I'm the guy who lives in the shack across the road... although I did have my full, unrestricted driver's license at age 14, and used it to drive to Austin and back with a car full of other kids. Mother couldn't bear it, and rode in the other car of the convoy, with an adult at the wheel. Mrs. Coffman had a big Chevy, and almost couldn't bear to cross bridges; on two-lane roads she would wait until she could have the center all to herself.

Sitting on the desk beside me is a 2 gig drive and a 600MHz Athlon motherboard; on the bookcase above is the power supply for same -- I'm just too lazy lately to do the transplant. This one sort of works, although it's necessary to go in and carefully wiggle the power plugs to the disks to get them to spin up. Ah, well, never schedule for tomorrow what you can defer until next week.

I've met a lot of Left Coasters who've driven across Texas, although the usual experience is US66 / I40 across the Panhandle. My wife was like that before we left California. And I enjoyed Easy Rider, but there's a goodish-sized jump cut in there, like about 800 miles worth. You aren't the only one who discovered that Texas is more enjoyable at night, especially in the company of ::ahem:: congenial companionship --
Regards,
Ric
New Just curious...
Why cyrillic?
(BTW, just installing them always seemed to work for me).
New She be 'multilingual scholar' type..
I don't think she has much of a need today for the fonts, except perhaps to keep in practice. I recall scouting all over web (not long after it began to be a phenom) for various ones she could use while editing for Maik Nauka.

Hmmm right - you be Cyrillic-ept! As perhaps you know - they handle(d?) all pubs for Russian science - so I saw everything from astronomy to physics papers, even helped her edit Engl. versions once ('helped' for sci. syntax that is). My Russ or Ukrainian is below miniscule. Did you ever see a crude Win 3.1 ap called, Multilingual Scholar, in early '90s? She used that a bit - seemed unfinished, at the time.

Once I was in her apartment in Bloomington IN (I.U.) and exchanging e-mails with her in Moscow, about 8 miles from Kremlin! almost in real-time.. This was her mandatory year at M-N, prep for later doing translating from US via web.

The novelty of e-mail (then) and the odd coincidence that on Tee Vee was a documentary describing how Wehrmacht patrols got within ~ 16 mi of Moscow: I was telling her about the program, what was happening nearby ~50 years before and in same season - if not the uniquely frigid weather of '42(?)

Brought home to us that night, the miracle we now take for granted, now so often used for just.. the utterly boring machinations of bizness and more bizness.

Strange species - capable of so much more; settling for so little :[

Cheers,

A.
New Obvious
Since he has no real intelligence, being essentially lazy (cynics always are lazy) he resorts to the forms of intelligence, lacking any real substance. If Cyrillic were widely known, he'd resort to cuneiform or Morse code, with just about as much understanding of it.

Ashton has the intelligence of a pear - it knows how to make other pears, and that's about it.
New What The Hell Do You Know About It?
You'd be lucky to understand CP/M. In fact, I doubt you could do it.
     OK Chris - not nice to tease crazed beasts - (Ashton) - (15)
         Re: OK Chris - not nice to tease crazed beasts - (cwbrenn) - (14)
             Waah, can't see it - (Ric Locke) - (13)
                 argh :( - (cwbrenn) - (11)
                     Not to worry - (Ric Locke) - (10)
                         98-lite pitch. - (Ashton) - (9)
                             Have that pointer - (Ric Locke) - (8)
                                 Heh - W98 was invented for that color of neck. - (Ashton) - (7)
                                     Wal, shucks - (Ric Locke) - (2)
                                         Ah.. well then - (Ashton) - (1)
                                             Texas Folk - (Ric Locke)
                                     Just curious... - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                         She be 'multilingual scholar' type.. - (Ashton)
                                         Obvious - (deSitter)
                                     What The Hell Do You Know About It? - (deSitter)
                 Well Ric, just for you - The *Radio* version: - (Ashton)

Walk without rhythm, and it won't attract the worm.
123 ms