IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thanks
A brilliant essay by a practitioner of actual English, backed by experience and thought. Rare, already endangered - possibly even illegible to those possessed of a 1000 word recognition vocabulary.

I agree not only with the words but the nuance - especially his wise observation that.. it depends on what phrase is prepended: what his criticisms 'mean'.

Bookmarked. See I have to read more of his back-columns..

(Unrelated directly but.. see):

[link|http://past.thenation.com/issue/990301/0301affidavit.shtml|On another matter]

[cackle]
7.If called to testify, I would testify on personal knowledge to the following facts.

8.During lunch on March 19, 1998, in the presence of myself and Carol Blue, Mr. Blumenthal stated that, Monica Lewinsky had been a "stalker" and that the President was "the victim" of a predatory and unstable sexually demanding young woman. Referring to Ms. Lewinsky, Mr. Blumenthal used the word "stalker" several times. Mr. Blumenthal advised us that this version of the facts was not generally understood.

Anyway.. glad he's around. Not many replacements warming up in the wings, these days..

Ashton
New He's certainly not afraid to speak his mind
I enjoy his writing even when I think he goes off the deep end. His "No One Left to Lie to" book about Clinton was a good read, as was his book on Mother Theresa ("The Missionary Position").

His latest book ("The Trial of Henry Kissinger") accues Kissinger of various crimes against humanity and says he should be put on trial for war crimes. I haven't read it.

He also writes a column for "Free Inquiry" magazine.

A brilliant essay by a practitioner of actual English, backed by experience and thought. Rare, already endangered - possibly even illegible to those possessed of a 1000 word recognition vocabulary.

Ha!

:-)

I have to laugh because I have trouble with some of his sentences as I sometimes do with yours.

:-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Interesting.
I usually find Hitchen's prose quite clear. Sometimes clearly right, sometimes clearly wrong, but clear in any case. But trying to parse Ashtonian gives me a headache.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Sometimes "tolerance" is just a word for not dealing with things.
New Always glad to oblige..
Keeps yer mind off darker thoughts.. :-\ufffd
New An example.
From "The Missionary Position - Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice," by Christopher Hitchens.

Introduction

On my table as I write is an old coy of L'Assaunt ('The Attack'). It is, or more properly it was, a propaganda organ for the personal despotism of Jean-Claude Duvalier of Haiti. As the helplessly fat and jowly and stupid son of a very gaunt and ruthless and intelligent father (Jean-Francois 'Papa Doc' Duvalier), the portly Dauphin was known to all, and to his evident embarassment, as 'Baby Doc'. In an attempt to salvage some dignity and to establish an identity separate from that of the parental, L'Assaut carried the subtitle 'Organe de Jean-Claudisme'.

But this avoidance of the more accurate 'Duvalierism' served only to underline the banana-republic, cult-of-dynasty impression that it sought to dispel. Below the headline appears a laughable bird, which resembles a very plump and nearly flightless pigeon but is clearly intended as a dove, judging by the stylized sprig of olive clamped in its beak. Beneath the dismal avian is a large slogan in Latin - In Hoc Signo Vinces ('In this sign ye shall conquer') - which appears to negate the pacific and herbivorous intentions of the logo. [...]

I understand the words, and they clearly make sense, but it's not an easy read for me. Hitchens' writings (at least the ones I've read) often have this slightly dense, overtly literary, yet often entertaining feel to them. He often seems to challenge his readers to dig out the substance of his thoughts from the entertaining imagery.

It's most certainly not like reading Bertrand Russell (who strikes me as having been an amazingly clear and generally persuasive writer), but not as bad as (to pick a horrible counter-example) the translation of Hans Kung's "Does God Exist" that I tried to wade through in college. That's one of the few books I read for pleasure that I got half way through but never finished.

Ashton's prose often makes much more sense to me when read aloud than when read to myself. He has such range in his asides and parenthetical thoughts that there's often not a good way to set them off with usual punctuation. It's almost as if he's a frustrated playwrite or something. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Not a bad approximation..
Deserves a fair response, if I can.

Basically, and given the general state of language of late - its perversion into rampant hucksterism/lies on all fronts, the loss of any 'political' categories which once signified at least *something* about their adherents .. I figure that communication itself has become harder of late, and often impossible.

Though some may see it so, I am not aiming for obscurantism or cuteness (well.. OK - some. times. :-\ufffd which I hope are evident). My belief is that, were JS Bach alive, or Mozart - they would immediately see and grok the insights in the driving rhythms of a Phillip Glass, and within the pure musicality and sweet intonation of a Bix Beiderbecke. Of course these giants were much more than the idea, innovator can suggest.

Similarly, as so aptly satirized by the late great Dane, Victor Borge - punctuation (!) is our crude means of trying to express that body-language which is all the difference between the spoken and written word. Shakespeare.. could be immediately comprehended anywhere! even if his sentences were converted by eecummings andrunalltogether. You'd Know how to reassemble them, from context.. But then - his genius is so far beyond the measurable, that we can't guess anything about his muse (which I have always deemed metaphysical, by whatever name).

Anyway, having no delusions about my place in the pecking order - all I can do is experiment with the rhythm of words as we usually hear them, even though I know the wise admonitions, conventions starkly set out for all time by Mr. Strunk.

Maybe 'script conventions' for playrights is in that direction (astute observation) - that material is after all, intended to be *heard* not read. Yes, I can play by the rules and occasionally have to, for other reasons - I still think we each need to know rules before deciding to break them. Gotta differentiate before you can integrate, maybe?

I expect some of my efforts to fail through ineptness or inattention at the time (mine or maybe other), but I suppose I have to experiment. Nobody has to read. My guess is that written language possesses at least the room for such experiment. It is after all, alive! or we would not need to buy a new dictionary ever..

A sentence reads quite Differently / a Sentence reads quite differently / etc. / depending upon the stressed word. Perhaps we shall sometime invent something beyond the Capital to so indicate .?. for all the rest of us who aren't Shakespeare. Writing, except in great haste forces some recollection and reevaluation in anyone - but the reader always has the option of switching channels. What could be fairer? since most of what we read and write just.. evanesces. It is for the moment.. and precious little for the ages.

Imagine - what was *lost* when the mob flayed! Hypatia and burned the library at Alexandria... THAT act alone encompasses the best & worst of homo sapiens Sapiens, a twitchy beast at best... Poor not-so great scientist Carl Sagan captured that horror well in Cosmos, I thought.

[anti-ad]
Meanwhile, let us hope and lobby in the direction that - no M$-spawned 'encyclop\ufffddia' or 'dictionary'.. ever comes to be taken to be: of any higher quality than that of their software, their ethics and their barbarian leadership (!)
[/anti-ad]

Ashton
all of life is a Play, to coin a phrase

:-\ufffd
     Hitchens column: "Blaming bin Laden First" - (Another Scott) - (6)
         Thanks - (Ashton) - (5)
             He's certainly not afraid to speak his mind - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 Interesting. - (marlowe) - (3)
                     Always glad to oblige.. - (Ashton)
                     An example. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Not a bad approximation.. - (Ashton)

Bestowing a cruddy-green patina to this over-polished line of deductive reasoning.
98 ms