IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I always suggest a web solution in these cases
...unless you tell me there's something stopping you from doing that. Do you really want to install Perl on each desktop, then manage upgrades every 3 months when it gets changed?

Anyway, that would sidestep the question of client-side GUI's a bit.

I was one of the original authors of VB, and *I* wouldn't use VB for a text
processing program. :-)
Michael Geary, on comp.lang.python
New Agreed
-drl
New Desktop VS network VS Web
All users have access to central network server in a shared directory environment. I should be able to deploy the app via a single batch file without any desktop issues. I'm pretty sure I don't even need to install Perl, just set the environmental variables correctly. There will be no monthly desktop issues at all. A single control file that is modified on the network is all it should take for any changes.

I really dislike the multi-level dependancies of web apps. 1st I have the issue of language. If I use Coldfusion (which is our default corporate web environment), I am immediately out of my league. Remember, I need to write an interpretive engine as well as a presentation interface. I can do this in a day or 2 using Perl. It might take weeks to months in CF for me, and our CF programmers do NOT have the Little Language mind set, which would mean CF programming for every change. Or I bully my way into non-standard, use PHP or Perl back-end, but then need to deal with the IT group and web server issues, which is to be avoided if possible.

I also HATE the interactive feel of web apps, A personal issue, but I will avoid using an environment that I can't truly control the layout unless I need out of house deployment. This app is for our internal MF programmers. It will never be used by a customer.

So, control, limited internal politics, expertise in the language, no overriding need to go into a complex web framework, (I'm sure I can come up with a bunch more now that I am in rationalization mode) lead me to a real desktop app. I don't see a downside to it, while web crap (I HATE IE SUPPORT) has always caused me pain.
New That's fine.
My only answer would be I could probably build it in a day or two as a webapp using Perl or Python. With the webserver built in. And the FTP client. With a lightweight interface that doesn't push any limits of any browser, or "web framework", which I always find more of a hindrance than a help if there's only one or two content-producers.

Sorry you're not in that boat. ;) Your solution sounds reasonable. wxAnything should do just fine.
I was one of the original authors of VB, and *I* wouldn't use VB for a text
processing program. :-)
Michael Geary, on comp.lang.python
     WxPerl - (broomberg) - (6)
         Re: WxPerl - (deSitter)
         I always suggest a web solution in these cases - (FuManChu) - (3)
             Agreed -NT - (deSitter)
             Desktop VS network VS Web - (broomberg) - (1)
                 That's fine. - (FuManChu)
         I'd use VisualWorks - (tuberculosis)

Lobsters are the mermaid versions of scorpions.
70 ms