IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Been looking for something along these lines. Thanks.
New Ok, I'm all signed up and everything...
...but I've completely forgotten what little I know about navigating through the AS/400. (Oddly, I remember a lot of the CL/400 language, but it's the easier stuff that I've forgotten). Checking the bookstores this weekend, I got sticker shock - the AS/400 section average over $100 a piece.

Is there a quick start guide that you can recommend to get me back up to speed?
New Check the IBM Redbooks.
[link|http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/portals/AS400|Here] is a place to start.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Well...
Here's a good link for references...

[link|http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r2/ic2924/index.htm|http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r2/ic2924/index.htm]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything can be done via menus and prompted commands.

Commands are built up of three and four letter 'pieces' - for instance, to work with the system activity, you would use the command "WRKSYSACT".

Commands can be prompted; to see the available options for a command, type it in and hit F4 instead of enter. That will show you the most common options used - to get a complete list, after prompting, hit F10 (or F9).

Menus are very useful tools on the '400 - you can either go directly to most menus by using the "GO" command with the subject you want to see prefixed with CMD, for example, to see the menu of commands relating to files, type "GO CMDFILE" and hit enter. To go to the top of the system menu hierarchy, press F16 on a command line.

The programming development manager environment (STRPDM - Start Programming Development Manager) is very useful; so is DFU (STRDFU - Start Data File Utility).

If you are editing source files with the SEU (STRSEU - Start Source Entry Utility - hit F4 with this one, though) or through the SEU via PDM, remember that you can prompt from within SEU - that means you can prompt commands being scripted in CL, or for elements of RPG.

Help can be accessed on most options by pressing F1...

----------------------------------------------------------

How's that? Ring any bells?

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Was this any help?

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

New Too many things going on
It did help me remember that it's the SEU that I'm interested in. This is a long term project, though, and it will help me more when I have time to concentrate on the matter at hand.

You still working with AS/400's?
New Yup
Down in Atlanta. Might be staying, if they ever finish drafting the offer letter.

Imric's Tips for Living

Free! - (imric) - (8)
         And another... - (slugbug)
         Been looking for something along these lines. Thanks. -NT - (ChrisR) - (6)
             Ok, I'm all signed up and everything... - (ChrisR) - (5)
                 Check the IBM Redbooks. - (Another Scott)
                 Well... - (imric) - (3)
                     Was this any help? -NT - (imric) - (2)
                         Too many things going on - (ChrisR) - (1)
                             Yup - (imric)

Now, new ChiaLRPD[tm]!
82 ms